AMC PhD candidates register with the Amsterdam UMC Doctoral School at the start of their PhD track. Registration offers access to PhD training and support.
The registration as an AMC PhD candidate consists of two elements:
- Registration with the Faculty of Medicine through the Amsterdam UMC Doctoral School at the start of the PhD track. This gives you access to all information, courses and support of the Doctoral School.
- Admission to the doctoral program of the University of Amsterdam through the Office of Doctorate Affairs. You can request admission to the UvA doctoral program, one year before your tentative PhD defence date.
All AMC PhD candidates must register with the Amsterdam UMC Doctoral School through the AMC HR Service Desk. When PhD candidates officially start their research – and have found a full AMC professor who is willing to act as their PhD supervisor – the agreement and personal details must be recorded in the AMC Central Personnel Database. This requirement applies to all AMC PhD candidates, not just those employed directly by the AMC or AMR.
Registration as an AMC PhD candidate provides access to the course program and to all other activities of the Amsterdam UMC Doctoral School and PhD candidate association ASAP. In addition, registration entitles PhD candidates to an AMC ID badge and an AMC e-mail account, as well as access to the AMC Medical Library.
- Complete the registration form.
- Fill out both pages.
- Print out the e-mail and sign it. (Please select 'regeleinden herstellen' before printing.)
- Ask your PhD supervisor to check and sign the form.
- Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, please submit digitally signed copies of the documents here below to the HR Service Desk (email@example.com):
- the completed and signed registration form
- your Master's degree certificate(s) or doctoraal diploma, and
- a valid official identity document (not a driving license).
- The registration procedure is now complete. You will receive confirmation by e-mail sent to your AMC e-mail address.
Note: Only completed forms will be accepted.
What is admission to the doctoral program and when should I do it?
As an AMC PhD candidate you will eventually defend your PhD thesis at the University of Amsterdam (UvA). You can request for admission to the doctoral program after you have finalized your registration at the Amsterdam UMC Doctoral School and For more information about the admission procedure, please check our new website here.
Frequently Asked Questions on registration with the AMC Graduate School
E: firstname.lastname@example.org; T: +31 20 566 3108.
Yes, we need to have the details of your PhD research for our records.
The AMC HR Service Desk is obligated by law to only register persons in the AMC Personnel System who can present valid identification and degree certificates (originals, not photocopies). The AMC Graduate School has no influence on this decision.
Please contact the Amsterdam UMC Doctoral School for assistance.
T: 31 (20) 566 3108.
Yes. Although you are already registered in the AMC Personnel System, you must also be denoted as a PhD candidate. Otherwise you will not have access to the AMC Graduate School facilities.