AMC PhD candidates register with the Graduate School at the start of their PhD track. Registration offers access to PhD training and support.
The registration as an AMC PhD candidate consists of two elements:
- Registration with the Faculty of Medicine through the AMC Graduate School at the start of your PhD track. This gives you access to all information, courses and support of the AMC Graduate School.
- Admission to the doctoral program of the University of Amsterdam through the Office of Doctorate Affairs. You can request admission to the UvA doctoral program, preferably in the first year of your PhD, when your supervisory team is final.
1. Registration with the AMC Graduate School
All AMC PhD candidates must register with the AMC Graduate School through the AMC HR Service Desk. When PhD candidates officially start their research – and have found a full professor who is willing to act as their PhD supervisor – the agreement and personal details must be recorded in the AMC Central Personnel Database. This requirement applies to all AMC PhD candidates, not just those employed directly by the AMC or AMR.
Registration as an AMC PhD candidate provides access to the course program and to all other activities of the AMC Graduate School and PhD candidate association APROVE. In addition, registration entitles PhD candidates to an AMC ID badge and an AMC e-mail account, as well as access to the AMC Medical Library.
The AMC Graduate School also recognizes pre-PhD students. These are students who have not yet obtained a Master's degree and are preparing a PhD. They are permitted to enroll in courses from the AMC PhD Course Program and submit a request for admission to the doctorate at the University of Amsterdam under certain conditions. Please read the instructions here.
- Complete the registration form (click on the link, fill out the form and you will be sent back to this page where you can read the further instructions below).
- Print out the e-mail you received after filling out the form and sign it.
- Ask your PhD supervisor to check and sign the print too.
- You have to go to the HR Service Desk (room C0-215.1). You have to make an appointment, unless you have an AMC ID badge.
- Take the following items with you to the HR Service Desk (room C0-215.1):
- the completed and signed registration form
- your Master's degree certificate(s) or doctoraal diploma, and
- a valid official identity document (not a driving license).
- The registration procedure is now complete. You will receive confirmation by e-mail on your AMC e-mail address.
Important: Bring original documents, not photocopies. Only completed forms will be accepted.
AMC PhD candidates who are working outside The Netherlands must also register at the AMC. They should contact the AMC Graduate School for the special arrangements that apply to them.
If changes are made in your supervision team, please notify the AMC Graduate School by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with cc to all (co-)supervisors involved.
2. Admission to the doctoral program of the University of Amsterdam
What is admission to the doctoral program and when should I do it?
As an AMC PhD candidate you will eventually defend your PhD thesis at the University of Amsterdam (UvA). You can request for admission to the UvA doctoral program when your supervisory team is final, preferably in the first year of your PhD research. The request for admission follows the registration with the AMC Graduate School, which takes place at the very beginning of your PhD. The decision of the UvA on admission remains valid for 8 years. Postponement of the request for admission to the end of the PhD trajectory often leads to stress and time pressure. Without formal admission to the UvA doctoral program, subsequent steps to prepare for the PhD thesis defense cannot be made. Information on the admission procedure can be found here (please read at this page).
Frequently Asked Questions on registration with the AMC Graduate School
No. Please contact the AMC Graduate School: E: email@example.com; T: +31 20 566 3108.
Yes, we need to have the details of your PhD research for our records.
The AMC HR Service Desk is obligated by law to only register persons in the AMC Personnel System who can present valid identification and degree certificates (originals, not photocopies). The AMC Graduate School has no influence on this decision.
Please contact the AMC Graduate School for assistance.
T: 31 (20) 566 3108.
Yes. Although you are already registered in the AMC Personnel System, you must also be denoted as a PhD candidate. Otherwise you will not have access to the AMC Graduate School facilities.
The registration with the AMR is not the same as registration with the AMC Graduate School. The registration form gives the AMC Graduate School details about your PhD research, such as the starting date, main sponsor and PhD supervisor. This information helps us to analyze the PhD demographics and the efficiency of PhD tracks within the AMC.
Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining your situation. We will work with you to find a solution.