- van Dijk HW, Verbraak FD, Kok PHB, Garvin MK, Sonka M, Lee K, DeVries JH, Michels RPJ, van Velthoven MEJ, Schlingemann RO, Abràmoff MD, Decreased retinal ganglion cell layer thickness in patients with type 1 diabetes. INVEST OPHTH VIS SCI 2010;51 (7):3660-3665 [PubMed]
- Stehouwer M, Verbraak FD, de Vries H, Kok PHB, van Leeuwen TG, Fourier Domain Optical Coherence Tomography integrated into a slit lamp; a novel technique combining anterior and posterior segment OCT. EYE 2010;24 (6):980-984 [PubMed]
- Kok PHB, van Dijk HW, van den Berg TJTP, Verbraak FD, A Model for the Effect of Disturbances in the Optical Media on the OCT Image Quality. INVEST OPHTH VIS SCI 2009;50 (2):787-792 [PubMed]
- Verbraak FD, Schlingemann RO, de Smet MD, Keunen JEE, Single spot PDT in patients with circumscribed choroidal haemangioma and near normal visual acuity. GRAEF ARCH CLIN EXP 2006;244 (9):1178-1182 [PubMed]
Curriculum Vitae 25-8-2010
FRANK D VERBRAAK, MD, PhD
Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Following his residency at the Department of Ophthalmology of the Academic
Medical Center in Amsterdam in 1990, dr Verbraak started working at the
Netherlands Ophthalmic Research Center at the Department of
Ophthalmo-Genetics, performing genetic counseling of patients / families
with specific hereditary ocular disorders, and research in patients with
aniridia (linking clinical phenotypes with molecular genetics).
He started working at the Department of Ophthalmology of the AMC in 1993 (present Head of the Department: Prof. dr. M.Ph.Mourits) ,with a special interest in uveitis and AIDS related ocular pathology. His research activities focussed on PCR based diagnostics in AIDS patients with necrotizing retinitis. He finished his PhD thesis in April 1999 (title: CMV retinitis in HIV positive patients in the pre-HAART era). Running the
uveitis clinic is still one of his main responsibilities.
In October 1999 he joined the Department of Biomedical Photonics of the AMC (Head of Department: Prof.dr M.J.van Gemert) to extend existing and develop new laser technologies in diagnosis and treatment of ophthalmic disorders. He introduced Optical CoherenceTomography (OCT) into the clinic. He coordinated the research of a
transversal scanning OCT system (3D- SLO / OCT), a new technique invented by
A.Podoleanu (University of Kent, Canterbury) and developed by OTI (Canada,
Toronto), that has been the subject of different clinical projects, to validate
this new imaging modality. In the course of this validation he was co-promotor of a PhD student (mrs M.E.J. van Velthoven, who defended her thesis successfully, 13th October 2006). In 2009 the department merged with the Department of Medical Physics, and continued as department of Biomedical Engineering and Physics.
He conducts several clinical studies with OCT in patients with diabetes mellitus, to detect the earliest changes in diabetic retinopathy related to neuroglial loss, to evaluate the evolution of changes in retinal thickness over time in the early phase of DR, and to introduce OCT as a parameter to guide lasertreatment of diabetic maculopathy. In close cooperation with prof MD Abramoff, University of Iowa, segmentation of the different retinal layers could be performed with dedicated algorithms, and due to the increased definition of OCT images the individual layer thickness of 8 layers could be measured. He is co-promoter of a PhD student whithin this project (mrs HW van Dijk).
The influence of media opacities in OCT imaging seems to have a definite influence on the accuracy of the measurements of retinal layers. Using a set of filters with known optical densities the effect of disturbances in the optical path have been measured and compared to the influence of cataract on OCT quality and thickness measurements. He is co-promotor of a PhD student working on this project, in cooperation with dr T.vd Berg, Department of Biomedical Engineering and Physics.
In 1999, he started together with the Academic Hospital Maastricht to treat
the first patients with subfoveal neovascularisations and AMD, high myopia,
and PXE with Photo Dynamic Therapy (Visudyne) in the Netherlands. In 2002 /
2003 he treated the first patients with choroidal hemangiomas in the
Netherlands with PDT. Treatment of AMD patients with subfoveal CNV is evolving from laser treatment to drug treatment, a development in which the medical retina department of the AMC is actively involved. At the moment treatment of neovasculaisations in AMD patients is performed with intraocular injections of anti VEGF compounds. Again OCT proved to be a valuable tool for follow-up of these patients. PDT is now indicated in non-responders, and in patients with specific diagnoses, like Central Serous Chorioidopathy, and Choroidal Hemangioma.
Part of his time has been dedicated to participate in several studies, funded by the industry, to evaluate the safety and efficacy of new drugs, anti-angiogenetic compounds, for the treatment of subfoveal neovascularisations in patients with AMD.
At present a project has been started to develop an OCT set-up for small animal scanning, to use this set-up in phenotyping transgenic mice, to study the possibilities of different entities to enhance contrast in OCT imaging of the eye, and to study the intraocular behaviour of new drugs carried by nanoparticles.
Together with an industrial partner, and the department of Biomedical engineering and Physics a slit lamp mounted spectral domain OCT device has been developed, and clinical testing of a prototype is now in progress. He is co-promotor of a PhD student performing this clinical evaluation.
1. Verbraak FD. Antivascular endothelial growth factor treatment in pseudoxanthoma elasticum patients. Dev.Ophthalmol. 2010;46:96-106.
Ref ID: 1
2. Battaglia PM, Iacono P, Verbraak FD, Bandello F. Antivascular endothelial growth factors for inflammatory chorioretinal disorders. Dev.Ophthalmol. 2010;46:84-95.
Ref ID: 2
3. van Dijk HW, Verbraak FD, Kok PH, Garvin MK, Sonka M, Lee K et al. Decreased retinal ganglion cell layer thickness in patients with type 1 diabetes. Invest Ophthalmol.Vis.Sci. 2010; 51:3660-5.
Ref ID: 3
4. Stehouwer M, Verbraak FD, de VH, Kok PH, van Leeuwen TG. Fourier Domain Optical Coherence Tomography integrated into a slit lamp; a novel technique combining anterior and posterior segment OCT. Eye (Lond) 2010;24:980-4.
Ref ID: 4
5. Nieuwendaal CP, van Velthoven ME, Biallosterski C, van der Meulen IJ, Lapid-Gortzak R, Melles GR et al. Thickness measurements of donor posterior disks after descemet stripping endothelial keratoplasty with anterior segment optical coherence tomography. Cornea 2009;28:298-303.
Ref ID: 5
6. van Dijk HW, Kok PH, Garvin M, Sonka M, Devries JH, Michels RP et al. Selective loss of inner retinal layer thickness in type 1 diabetic patients with minimal diabetic retinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol.Vis.Sci. 2009;50:3404-9.
Ref ID: 6
7. Papadaki TG, el MR, van Ketel RJ, Verbraak FD, Tan HS. Capnocytophaga canimorsus endogenous endophthalmitis in an immunocompetent host. Br.J.Ophthalmol. 2008;92:1566-7.
Ref ID: 7
8. Kok PH, van Dijk HW, van den Berg TJ, Verbraak FD. A model for the effect of disturbances in the optical media on the OCT image quality. Invest Ophthalmol.Vis.Sci. 2009;50:787-92.
Ref ID: 8
9. Biallosterski C, van Velthoven ME, Michels RP, Schlingemann RO, Devries JH, Verbraak FD. Decreased optical coherence tomography-measured pericentral retinal thickness in patients with diabetes mellitus type 1 with minimal diabetic retinopathy. Br.J.Ophthalmol. 2007;91:1135-8.
Ref ID: 9
10. van Velthoven ME, Faber DJ, Verbraak FD, van Leeuwen TG, de Smet MD. Recent developments in optical coherence tomography for imaging the retina. Prog.Retin.Eye Res. 2007;26:57-77.
Ref ID: 10
11. van Velthoven ME, van der Linden MH, de Smet MD, Faber DJ, Verbraak FD. Influence of cataract on optical coherence tomography image quality and retinal thickness. Br.J.Ophthalmol. 2006;90:1259-62.
Ref ID: 11
12. van Velthoven ME, Ongkosuwito JV, Verbraak FD, Schlingemann RO, de Smet MD. Combined en-face optical coherence tomography and confocal ophthalmoscopy findings in active multifocal and serpiginous chorioretinitis. Am.J.Ophthalmol. 2006;141:972-5.
Ref ID: 12
13. van Velthoven ME, de Smet MD, Schlingemann RO, Magnani M, Verbraak FD. Added value of OCT in evaluating the presence of leakage in patients with age-related macular degeneration treated with PDT. Graefes Arch.Clin.Exp.Ophthalmol. 2006;244:1119-23.
Ref ID: 13
14. Verbraak FD, Schlingemann RO, de Smet MD, Keunen JE. Single spot PDT in patients with circumscribed choroidal haemangioma and near normal visual acuity. Graefes Arch.Clin.Exp.Ophthalmol. 2006;244:1178-82.
Ref ID: 14
15. van Velthoven ME, Verbraak FD, Yannuzzi LA, Rosen RB, Podoleanu AG, de Smet MD. Imaging the retina by en face optical coherence tomography. Retina 2006;26:129-36.
Ref ID: 15
16. van Velthoven ME, Verbraak FD, Garcia PM, Schlingemann RO, Rosen RB, de Smet MD. Evaluation of central serous retinopathy with en face optical coherence tomography. Br.J.Ophthalmol. 2005;89:1483-8.
Ref ID: 16
17. van Velthoven ME, de VK, Verbraak FD, Pool CW, de Smet MD. Overlay of conventional angiographic and en-face OCT images enhances their interpretation. BMC.Ophthalmol. 2005;5:12.
Ref ID: 17
18. Verbraak FD, de Bruin DM, Sulak M, de Jong LA, Aalders M, Faber DJ et al. Optical coherence tomography of the Ex-PRESS miniature glaucoma implant. Lasers Med.Sci. 2005;20:41-4.
Ref ID: 18
19. Lambrechts SA, Aalders MC, Verbraak FD, Lagerberg JW, Dankert JB, Schuitmaker JJ. Effect of albumin on the photodynamic inactivation of microorganisms by a cationic porphyrin. J.Photochem.Photobiol.B 2005;79:51-7.
Ref ID: 19
20. van Velthoven ME, Verbraak FD. Comment on 'Ultrahigh resolution optical coherence tomography of the monkey fovea. Identification of retinal sublayers by correlation with semithin histology sections' by E.M. Anger et al. [Exp. Eye Res. 78 (2004) 1117-1125]. Exp.Eye Res. 2005;80:447-8.
Ref ID: 20
21. Wakelkamp IM, Tan H, Saeed P, Schlingemann RO, Verbraak FD, Blank LE et al. Orbital irradiation for Graves' ophthalmopathy: Is it safe? A long-term follow-up study. Ophthalmology 2004;111:1557-62.
Ref ID: 21
22. Verbraak FD, Schlingemann RO, Keunen JE, de Smet MD. Longstanding symptomatic choroidal hemangioma managed with limited PDT as initial or salvage therapy. Graefes Arch.Clin.Exp.Ophthalmol. 2003;241:891-8.
Ref ID: 22
23. Tiller AM, Odenthal MT, Verbraak FD, Gortzak-Moorstein N. The influence of keratoplasty on visual prognosis in aniridia: a historical review of one large family. Cornea 2003;22:105-10.
Ref ID: 23
24. Bosch-Driessen LH, Verbraak FD, Suttorp-Schulten MS, van Ruyven RL, Klok AM, Hoyng CB et al. A prospective, randomized trial of pyrimethamine and azithromycin vs pyrimethamine and sulfadiazine for the treatment of ocular toxoplasmosis. Am.J.Ophthalmol. 2002;134:34-40.
Ref ID: 24
25. Slingerland AS, van Aalderen WM, de JS, Verbraak FD, de Smet MD, Hoekstra MO. [Two children with extrapulmonary symptoms due to tuberculosis]. Ned.Tijdschr.Geneeskd. 2001;145:113-5.
Ref ID: 25
26. Verbraak FD, Schreinemachers MC, Tiller A, van Deventer SJ, de Smet MD. Prevalence of subclinical anterior uveitis in adult patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Br.J.Ophthalmol. 2001;85:219-21.
Ref ID: 26
27. Verbraak FD, Boom R, Wertheim-van Dillen PM, van den Horn GJ, Kijlstra A, de Smet MD. Influence of highly active antiretroviral therapy on the development of CMV disease in HIV positive patients at high risk for CMV disease. Br.J.Ophthalmol. 1999;83 :1186-9.
Ref ID: 27
28. Verbraak FD, van den Horn GJ, van der Meer JT, Paydafar D, ten Kate FJ, Wertheim-van Dillen PM et al. Risk of developing CMV retinitis following non-ocular CMV end organ disease in AIDS patients. Br.J.Ophthalmol. 1998;82:748-50.
Ref ID: 28
29. Peek R, Verbraak F, Coevoet HM, Kijlstra A. Muller cell-specific autoantibodies in a patient with progressive loss of vision. Invest Ophthalmol.Vis.Sci. 1998;39:1976-9.
Ref ID: 29
30. Peek R, Verbraak F, Bruinenberg M, Van der Lelij A, Van den Horn G, Kijlstra A. Cytomegalovirus glycoprotein B genotyping in ocular fluids and blood of AIDS patients with cytomegalovirus retinitis. Invest Ophthalmol.Vis.Sci. 1998;39:1183-7.
Ref ID: 30
31. Verbraak FD, Bruinenberg M, van den Horn GJ, Meenken C, Van der Lelij A, Hoyng CB et al. Cytomegalovirus (CMV) strain differences between the eye and blood in AIDS patients with CMV retinitis. AIDS 1998;12:713-8.
Ref ID: 31
32. Verbraak FD, Galema M, van den Horn GH, Bruinenberg M, Luyendijk L, Danner SA et al. Serological and polymerase chain reaction-based analysis of aqueous humour samples in patients with AIDS and necrotizing retinitis. AIDS 1996;10:1091-9.
Ref ID: 32
33. Legius E, de Die-Smulders CE, Verbraak F, Habex H, Decorte R, Marynen P et al. Genetic heterogeneity in Rieger eye malformation. J.Med.Genet. 1994;31:340-1.
Ref ID: 33
34. Verbraak FD, vd BW, Delleman JW, Greve EL. Goniodysgenesis in familial primary open-angle glaucoma. Acta Ophthalmol.(Copenh) 1994;72:98-102.
Ref ID: 34
35. Verbraak FD, Pogany K, Pilon JW, Mooy CM, de France HF, Hennekam RC et al. Congenital glaucoma in a child with partial 1q duplication and 9p deletion. Ophthalmic Paediatr.Genet. 1992;13:165-70.
Ref ID: 35
36. Verbraak FD, Mannens MA, Redeker EJ, Saunders GF, Bleeker-Wagemakers EM. DNA diagnosis in a family with autosomal dominant aniridia. Ophthalmic Paediatr.Genet. 1991;12:165-70.
Ref ID: 36
37. Verbraak FD, van den Berg W, Bos PJ. Retinal pigment epitheliopathy in acute leukemia. Am.J.Ophthalmol. 1991;111:111-3.
Ref ID: 37
38. vd BW, Verbraak FD, Bos PJ. Homocystinuria presenting as central retinal artery occlusion and longstanding thromboembolic disease. Br.J.Ophthalmol. 1990;74:696-7.
Ref ID: 38
39. Breebaart AC, Nuyts RM, Pels E, Edelhauser HF, Verbraak FD. Toxic endothelial cell destruction of the cornea after routine extracapsular cataract surgery. Arch.Ophthalmol. 1990;108:1121-5.
Ref ID: 39
- None reported
- Novartis Pharma BV