- Hamers RL. Drug-resistant HIV-1 in sub-Saharan Africa. Clinical and public health studies. s.l: s.n.; 2013. 365p. ISBN 9789461693297 [UvA Dissertations Online] Proefschrift Universiteit van Amsterdam. (Promotor(s): Rinke de Wit TF, Mugyenyi P; copromotor(s): van Vugt M, Schuurman R)
- Gupta RK, Jordan MR, Sultan BJ, Hill A, Davis DHJ, Gregson J, Sawyer AW, Hamers RL, Ndembi N, Pillay D, Bertagnolio S, Global trends in antiretroviral resistance in treatment-naive individuals with HIV after rollout of antiretroviral treatment in resource-limited settings: a global collaborative study and meta-regression analysis. LANCET 2012;380 (9849):1250-1258 [PubMed]
- Hamers RL, Schuurman R, Sigaloff KCE, Wallis CL, Kityo C, Siwale M, Mandaliya K, Ive P, Botes ME, Wellington M, Osibogun A, Wit FW, van Vugt M, Stevens WS, de Wit TFR, Effect of pretreatment HIV-1 drug resistance on immunological, virological, and drug-resistance outcomes of first-line antiretroviral treatment in sub-Saharan Africa: a multicentre cohort study. LANCET INFECT DIS 2012;12 (4):307-317 [PubMed]
- Hamers RL, Wallis CL, Kityo C, Siwale M, Mandaliya K, Conradie F, Botes ME, Wellington M, Osibogun A, Sigaloff KCE, Nankya I, Schuurman R, Wit FW, Stevens WS, van Vugt M, de Wit TFR [Contributors: Mandaliya K, Abdallah S, Jao I, Dolan M, Schuurman R, Wensing AM, Hamers RL, Sigaloff KCE, Straatsma E, Wit FW, van Vugt M, Lange JM, Rinke de Wit TF, Osibogun A, Akanmu S, Botes ME, Conradie F, Ive P, Sanne I, Wallis CL, Letsoalo E, Stevens WS, Hardman M, Kityo C, Namayanja G, Nakatudde L, Nankya I, Kiconco M, Abwola M, Mugyenyi P, Ndembi N, Lyagoba F, Kaleebu P, Siwale M, Njovu C, Labib M, Menke J, Wellington M, Luthy R]] , HIV-1 drug resistance in antiretroviral-naive individuals in sub-Saharan Africa after rollout of antiretroviral therapy: a multicentre observational study. LANCET INFECT DIS 2011;11 (10):750-759 [PubMed]
- Hamers RL, Kityo C, Lange JMA, de Wit TFR, Mugyenyi P, Global threat from drug resistant HIV in sub-Saharan Africa. BMJ-BRIT MED J 2012;344:e4159 [PubMed]
Raph Hamers is a fellow infectious diseases and clinical immunology at the Academic Medical Center of the University of Amsterdam, and a post-doctoral research fellow at AIGHD. Raph Hamers trained as a medical doctor and internal medicine resident in the Netherlands. In 2003-2004 he was based at the Universidade Federal de Roraima in Brazil, working as a junior lecturer and researcher. In 2006 he joined PharmAccess Foundation in Amsterdam where he established and coordinated the Pan-African Studies to Evaluate HIV Resistance (PASER) network, which aim is to build regional capacity for the population-based assessment and prevention of HIV drug resistance.
In 2007, he co-founded the Affordable Resistance Test for Africa (ART-A) consortium, a public-private partnership that has developed a low-cost testing algorithm for HIV drug resistance. He obtained a post-graduate diploma in Epidemiology from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine in 2011 (With Distinction). His research at AIGHD, under mentorship of Prof. Tobias Rinke de Wit and Prof. Peter Mugyenyi, led toward the completion of his PhD at the University of Amsterdam in 2013 (Cum Laude). His PhD thesis is entitled “Drug-resistant HIV-1 in sub-Saharan Africa. Clinical and public health studies”. He serves as an Expert Consultant to the WHO Global HIV Drug Resistance Network.
In 2014, he received a prestigious 3 year post-doctoral Veni fellowship granted by the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research through the Innovational Research Incentives Scheme. His research interests include the molecular epidemiology, diagnostic strategies and clinical management of drug-resistant HIV, HIV-induced chronic immune dysregulation, and models of optimal health care delivery in low and middle-income countries.
Prof. dr. T.F. Rinke de Wit PhD (Multi-disciplinary public health research in Africa)
- None reported
- None reported