- Jansen JM, Daams JG, Koeter MWJ, Veltman DJ, van den Brink W, Goudriaan AE, Effects of non-invasive neurostimulation on craving: a meta-analysis. NEUROSCI BIOBEHAV R 2013;37 (10 Part 2):2472-2480 [PubMed]
- van Holst RJ, Veltman DJ, Büchel C, van den Brink W, Goudriaan AE, Distorted Expectancy Coding in Problem Gambling: Is the Addictive in the Anticipation?. BIOL PSYCHIAT 2012;71 (8):741-748 [PubMed]
- Cousijn J, Wiers RW, Ridderinkhof KR, van den Brink W, Veltman DJ, Goudriaan AE, Grey matter alterations associated with cannabis use: Results of a VBM study in heavy cannabis users and healthy controls. NEUROIMAGE 2012;59 (4):3845-3851 [PubMed]
- Schmaal L, Veltman DJ, Nederveen A, van den Brink W, Goudriaan AE, N-Acetylcysteine Normalizes Glutamate Levels in Cocaine-Dependent Patients: A Randomized Crossover Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Study. NEUROPSYCHOPHARMACOL 2012;37 (9):2143-2152 [PubMed]
- Schmaal L, Joos L, Koeleman M, Veltman DJ, van den Brink W, Goudriaan AE, Effects of modafinil on neural correlates of response inhibition in alcohol-dependent patients. BIOL PSYCHIAT 2013;73 (3):211-218 [PubMed]
Professional Memberships (selection)
2004 – present Member of the Cognitive Neuroscience Society (CNS).
2005 – present Member of the Research Society on Alcoholism (RSA).
2007 – present Member of the Research Institute for Experimental Psychology (EPOS).
2008 – current Member of the Organisation for Human Brain Mapping
2008 – current Full Member European College for Neuropsychopharmacology (ECNP)
Co-promotor of PhD students
- Ruth van Holst (AMC Psychiatry; 2007-2011; promotion date: 16 Sept 2011)
- Janna Cousijn (UvA Psychology; 2008-2012; promotion date: 30 November 2012)
- Lianne Schmaal (AMC Psychiatry; 2008-2012; promotion date: 11 January 2013)
- Leen Joos (University of Antwerp; CAPRI; promotion data: 25 June 2013)
- Eline Zaaijer (AMC; 2011-2014; promotion date: 24 september 2015)
Promotor of PhD students
- Jochem Jansen (AMC Psychiatry (2011- 2016; promotion date: 22 april 2016)
University: Radboud University Nijmegen
Date (dd/mm/yy): 31/10/2000
Study/main subject: Neuropsychology and Rehabilitation Psychology (MA)
University/College of Higher Education: University of Amsterdam
Date: 18/11/2005 (Cum Laude)
Title of thesis: Self-regulation in pathological gambling and related disorders: A neurocognitive and psychophysiological investigation
2012-current: Principal Investigator Addiction Research Arkin-AMC (PI)
2012-current: Psychologist (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy)
2011-2012: Senior Researcher AMC-postdoctoral fellowship (PI: Changing the vulnerable brain in addiction: an rTMS project)
2007-2011: Postdoctoral Researcher: ZonMw Veni grant (PI: Looking for reward or running away from stress and dysphoria)
2006-2007: Postdoc New Investigator Grant (PI; Institute for Research on Gambling; awarded by Harvard Medical School; University of Missouri)
2005-2006: Postdoctoral fellow University of Missouri (Alcohol, Health, Behavior Lab; prof. Kenneth Sher)
Scholarships, grants and prizes
- NCRG Scientific Achievement Award – Young Investigator (2009). Awarded two-yearly.
- American Psychological Association (APA) Division 50 (Addictions) Presentation Award 2009 (APA Convention 2009).
- Poster Awards: European College on Neuropsychopharmacology 2010; Institute for Research on Problem Gambling 2006.
- Travel Award poster presentations: Research Society on Alcoholism (RSA) 2006, 2007; NIDA-CPDD meeting 2011; Miami, USA.
- Principal Investigator: application and admittance as Principal Investigator by the Research Council of the Academic Medical Center (AMC); September 2011.
- Experimental Psychopathology (EPP) Research School PhD student grant: Mieke ter Mors-Schulte (AMC-UvA). June 2012. Amount €200.000,-.
- NWO/ZonMW and NIDA binational Research grant (2009 – Co-PI Dutch project part): Slow-release Naltrexone as a new potential treatment for opiate dependent patients: a questionnaire study into treatment acceptability in patients and clinicians, and a feasibility study. Start project: February 2011); Amount €100.000,-.
- Full proposal European Alcohol Research Foundation (ERAB; PI): Changing the vulnerable brain: a neuromodulation study in alcohol dependence. Funded, November 2010: PI on project; €100.000,-.
- AMC Postdoctoral Fellowship (PI): A neuromodulation-neuroimaging study in alcohol dependence. Funded, March 2010, Start project: January 2011; €150.000,-.
- NWO/ZonMW and NIDA binational Research grant (2007 – PI Dutch project part): Cannabis use: neurobiological risk factors for dependence; (Dutch Scientific Society (NWO; Netherlands and National Institute for Drug Abuse Research (NIDA; USA), Amount €100.000,-.
- NWO/ZonMw “Risky Behavior and Dependence” Program Grant (2007; Co-PI with D.J. Veltman, Ph.D., W. van den Brink, M.D., Ph.D., G. Dom, M.D., Ph.D.) Impulsivity: a treatable risk factor in addiction? (Dutch Scientific Society: ZonMw), Amount €750.000,-.
- Institute for Research on Pathological Gambling and Related Disorders New Investigator Grant (June 2006- PI): Gambling patterns and changes over time in a college sample: a longitudinal study. Awarded by the Division of Addictions, Harvard Medical School; Amount: $53.000,-.
- Veni grant, Dutch Scientific Society-NWO, ZonMw (January 2006-PI): Looking for reward or running away from stress and dysphoria: different vulnerabilities and pathways to addictive behaviors. Postdoctoral 3-year research grant (2007-2011). Amount: €208.000,-.
- ZonMw Grant, Addiction Program (2003 – Co-PI). Pathogenic mechanisms in pathological gambling: An fMRI study into deficient self-regulation. Amount: €169.000,-
Review and editorial tasks (selection)
- Editorial Board Member: Current Drug Abuse Reviews; Open Addiction Journal
- Associate Editor: Journal of Behavioral Addictions
- Reviewer: Addiction; Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Research; Biological Psychiatry; Brain; Drug and Alcohol Dependence; European Addiction Research; European Journal of Neuropsycho-pharmacology; Journal of Behavioral Addictions; Journal of Gambling Research; Neuroimage; Neuropsychologia; Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews; Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging; Psychological Medicine; Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
- Grant reviewer: NWO-ZonMw, ERAB (European Foundation for Alcohol Research), Australian Science Foundation; Fondation National de Recherche Scientifique (FNRS; Belgium).
Academic Teaching Experience
Starting during my Ph.D., up till now, I have taught a variety of courses, from basic scientific skills teaching, to highly specialised courses at the research master level, and from large scale lectures to interactive workgroups: practical neuropsychology; case report supervision groups (neuropsychology): courses in addiction, in scientific research and writing skills; general tutoring of bachelor students; supervising of over 20 master thesis students.
Lectures and courses for students (selection):
- AMC Medicine Masters; Universiteit Utrecht: Social Sciences Bachelors (coordination: R. van den Eijnden); PhD Summer Institute University of Amsterdam); Amsterdam University College Bachelors; AMC Masters Psychobiology: UvA Masters pedagogiek: (coordination: Prof. A. Huizink); Postdoctoral GZ-courses Addiction (Cure & Care, RINO); VU Clinical Neuropsychology Master; VU Medicine.
Neurobiological mechanisms of action and treatment effects in addictive disorders
Neuroimaging and neurocognitive studies of behavioral addiction: comparability to substance dependence
Impulsivity and reward sensitivity as neurobiological markers of addiction
Psychopharmacological studies in substance dependence: alcohol dependence, cocaine dependence, heroin dependence
Studying the therapeutical mechanisms of action of cognitive enhancers and opioid antagonists through neuroimaging
Epidemiology of problem gambling behaviors in young adults
Cognitive-motivational mechanisms underlying increasing or decreasing cannabis use in at-risk young adult users
Prof. dr. A.E. Goudriaan (Arkin)
Dr. M. Blankers (Arkin)
Dr. J. Cousijn (University of Utrecht)
R.J. van Holst PhD (Cambridge University, Department of Experimental Psychology)
Dr. M.J. Kikkert (Arkin)
Dr. G.H. de Weert-van Oene (Arkin, Jellinek)
R.S. Schluter MSc
Drs. M. Termors-Schulte (University of Amsterdam, Dept. Psychology)
T. van Timmeren
Drs. M. de Waal (Arkin Mental Health)
S. Bakelaar MA (University of Stellenbosch, South Africa)
E. Beraha Menahem MA (University of Amsterdam, Dept. Psychology)
Drs. M. Boog (Bouman Verslavingszorg, Rotterdam)
E. Asperslag MA (Arkin, Jellinek)
Drs. N. Lommerse
Prof. dr. W. van den Brink MD PhD (Addiction: pathogenesis, mechanisms of relapse and treatment effectiveness)
- Membership of editorial board / Editorship, PSYCHOLOGY OF ADDICTIVE BEHAVIORS
- Membership of editorial board / Editorship, JOURNAL OF GAMBLING STUDIES
- Membership of editorial board / Editorship, CURRENT DRUG ABUSE REVIEWS
- Member of Editorial Board, The Journal of Behavioral Addictions
- Membership of editorial board, The Open Addiction Journal
- Membership of advisory board / Consultant, Amsterdam Brain and Cognition (ABC) Program University of Amsterdam
- Membership of advisory board / Consultant, Ministry of Justice
- Member of Scientific Program Committee, Endo-Neuro-Psycho (ENP) Meeting - Neurofederatie, NVN, NVP
- Membership of medical or scientific committee, University of Melbourne, Member of PhD Examination Committee (PhD Candidate: Valentina Lorenzetti - effects of regular cannabis use on human brain structure)
- Membership of medical or scientific committee, University of Bergen, Norway, Doctoral defense committee (PhD candidate: Geir Scott Brunborg)
- Contribution to training of professionals, Cure and Care
- Stichting Arkin
- TUV INTERCERT GmbH (Group of TUV Saarland)
- Universiteit van Amsterdam-ABC