- Hulshof CTJ, Occupational health guidelines for mental disorders and stress-related complaints, a challenge for occupational health. OCCUP ENVIRON MED 2015;72 (5):311-312 [PubMed]
- Kuijer PPFM, van der Molen HF, Schop A, Moeijes F, Frings-Dresen MHW, Hulshof CTJ, Annual incidence of non-specific low back pain as an occupational disease attributed to whole-body vibration according to the National Dutch Register 2005-2012. ERGONOMICS 2015;58 (7):1232-1238 [PubMed]
- van Melick MJGJ, Van Beukering MDM, Mol BW, Frings-Dresen MHW, Hulshof CTJ, Shift work, long working hours and preterm birth: a systematic review and meta-analysis. INT ARCH OCC ENV HEA 2014;87 (8):835-849 [PubMed]
- Rhebergen MDF, Lenderink AF, van Dijk FJH, Hulshof CTJ, Comparing the Use of an Online Expert Health Network against Common Information Sources to Answer Health Questions. J MED INTERNET RES 2012;14 (1):e9 [PubMed]
- Rhebergen MDF, Lenderink AF, van Dijk FJH, Hulshof CTJ, Can online networks provide quality answers to questions about occupational safety and health?. OCCUP ENVIRON MED 2012;69 (5):347-353 [PubMed]
Carel Hulshof, MD PhD, is occupational physician and professor in Occupational Medicine at the Coronel Institute of Occupational Health of the Academic Medical Center (AMC) in Amsterdam. Currently, he is acting Head of the Coronel Institute of Occupational Health. He also holds a position as co-ordinator of the evidence-based guidelines programme of the Netherlands Society of Occupational Medicine (NVAB).
His main teaching and research areas are: application of evidence-based medicine and guidelines in occupational health, workers' health surveillance, shared decision making, health services research, and effects of occupational vibration. In his current position, his main drive is to enhance the scientific base of occupational medicine as a profession and to translate findings from scientific research for use in day-to-day occupational health practice.
He has (co-)written more than 200 articles in international and national peer-reviewed scientific journals, next to books, reports, and other publications.
He holds several international board and advisory positions, like Associate Editor of the Scandinavian Journal Of Work, Environment and Health, former chair of the ICOH Scientific Committee on Health Services Research and Evaluation in Occupational Health; member of the Editorial Board of the Cochrane Work Review Group, member of the International Advisory Board of Medicina del Lavoro, member of the Guidelines International Network (G-I-N) and former member of the Steering Group of the Health and Work Development Unit, a partnership between FOM and RCP in the UK. National scientific and societal representation among others as chair of the Health Council Committee ‘Night work and health effects’, member of the Health Council Committee 'Vaccinations and work', member of the Advisory Group on Guidance for Quality Standards of the National Health Care Institute and member of the Committee Work and Health of the National Prevention Programme 'Alles is gezondheid'.
He is managing the 'Polikliniek Mens en Arbeid' (PMA, People and Work outpatient clinic), and the 'Kenniscentrum Medische Keuringen in Arbeid', KMKA (Knowledge Center on Occupational Medical Examinations)
- Contribution to guidelines and protocols, Programme coordinator of guidelines at the Centre of Excellence of the Netherlands Society of Occupational Medicine (NVAB)
- Membership of editorial board / Editorship, SCANDINAVIAN JOURNAL OF WORK ENVIRONMENT & HEALTH
- Membership of medical or scientific committee, International Commission on Occupational Health (ICOH)
- Membership of medical or scientific committee, Other, Steering Group Health and Work Development Unit, RCP (UK)
- Membership of medical or scientific committee, Cochrane Collaboration, Editorial Board of Cochrane Work Review Group
- Membership of medical or scientific committee, WHO (World Health Organization), WHO Collaborating Centres of Occupational Health
- Membership of medical or scientific committee, GR (GezondheidsRaad, Dutch Health Council), Night work and health effects
- Membership of medical or scientific committee, GR (GezondheidsRaad, Dutch Health Council), Workers and infectious diseases, criteria for vaccination
- Membership of advisory board / Consultant, National Health Care Institute
- Contribution to guidelines and protocols, Member of Guidelines International Network (G-I-N)
- Membership of advisory board / Consultant, Medicina del Lavoro
- Ministerie van SZW