- Calis JCJ, Phiri KS, Faragher EB, Brabin BJ, Bates I, Cuevas LE, de Haan RJ, Phiri AI, Malange P, Khoka M, Hulshof PJM, van Lieshout L, Beld MGHM, teo YY, Rockett KA, Richardson A, Kwiatkowski DP, Molyneux ME, Boele van Hensbroek M, Severe anemia in Malawian children. NEW ENGL J MED 2008;358 (9):888-899 [PubMed]
- Jonker FAM, Calis JCJ, Phiri K, Kraaijenhagen RJ, Brabin BJ, Faragher B, Wiegerinck ET, Tjalsma H, Swinkels DW, van Hensbroek MB, Low hepcidin levels in severely anemic malawian children with high incidence of infectious diseases and bone marrow iron deficiency. PLOS ONE 2013;8 (12):e78964 [PubMed]
- Jonker FAM, Boele van Hensbroek M, Anaemia, iron deficiency and susceptibility to infections. J INFECTION 2014;69 (Suppl. 1):S23-S27 [PubMed]
- Esan MO, van Hensbroek MB, Nkhoma E, Musicha C, White SA, ter Kuile FO, Phiri KS, Iron supplementation in HIV-infected Malawian children with anemia: a double-blind, randomized, controlled trial. CLIN INFECT DIS 2013;57 (11):1626-1634 [PubMed]
- Phiri K, Esan M, Boele van Hensbroek M, Khairallah C, Faragher B, ter Kuile FO, Effect of intermittent preventative therapy for secondary prevention of severe malarial anaemia reply. LANCET INFECT DIS 2012;12 (12):906-907 [PubMed]
• B.A. University of Amsterdam 1985
• Medical Degree, University of Amsterdam 1989
• PhD. University of Amsterdam 1996
• Dutch equivalent of the CCST in Paediatrics 10-2000 (renewed 2005 and 2010)
• Professor in Global Child health
• Consultant in paediatrics infectious diseases and staff member of the Department of Paediatric Infection & Immunology (KHI), Emma Children’s Hospital, AMC.
• Head of the ‘Global Child Health Group’ (GCHG), of the Emma Children’s Hospital AMC
• staff memeber of the Amsterdam Institute of Global Health & Development, Department of Global health, AMC.
• Wellcome Trust Career Development Fellow in Clinical Tropical Medicine, based in the MLW Research Laboratories, Blantyre, Malawi (2001-2006).
• Consultant in Paediatrics, Department of Paediatrics, Queen Elisabeth Central Hospital, College of Medicine, University of Malawi, Blantyre, Malawi (2001-2005).
• Honorary Consultant Paediatrics, Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, Liverpool, United Kingdom (2005-08).
• Senior Lecturer in Tropical Paediatrics and staff member Child and Reproductive Health Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, United Kingdom (2005-2009).
• Fellow Paediatric Infectious diseases, EKZ-AMC (2008-2010)
• In-vivo and in-vitro resistance of P. falciparum against commonly used antimalarials in Kilgoris, Kenya (1985-1986)
• Evaluation of risk factors and screening methods for Chlamydia trachomatis infections in men attending the Sexual Transmitted Disease Clinic, CDC, Denver, USA, 1987
• Studies into the pathogenesis, treatment and outcome of uncomplicated and severe malaria in Gambian children, Medical Research Council Laboratories, Fajara, The Gambia 1991 - 1995.
• Studies into the aetiology pathogenesis and long term outcome of severe anaemia in Malawian children (Wellcome Trust Career Development Fellowship (2001-2006).
• Principle applicant (coordinator) of the Malawi-Amsterdam-Liverpool-(COMMAL) research programme (2005-2011)
• 2006-2012: Principal applicant NWO funded COMMAL Programme. Title: ‘College of Medicine, Malawi-Amsterdam-Liverpool partnership for Research Capacity Development through the establishment of a Research Support Centre in the College of Medicine, University of Malawi (Awarded: €850,000)
• 2006-2012: Principal applicant double blind randomised trial to evaluate the use of Coartem as Intermitted Preventive Treatment –post discharge (IPTpd) in children following a severe malaria anaemia episode (Awarded €650,000, NWO funded).
• 2007-2013: Principal applicant double blind randomised trial to evaluate the effect of iron supplementation in haematological recovery in HIV infected anaemic children (Awarded €250,000, NWO funded).
• 2013-2015: Co-applicant AFRIM study: Appropriate Fluid Resuscitation for Shock in Severely Malnourished Children. P.I. J. v Woensel (Awarded €200,000, Funder MSF).
• 2011-2015: Coordinator U5 study: Evaluation of the impact of the Health Insurance Fund program on maternal and child health in Kwara state, Nigeria. (Awarded €767,000, Funder HIF).
• 2012-2015: Principle applicant (coordinator) of the ARISE programme on Research Capacity Building for Africa (Awarded €2,8 mij.)
Teaching and coordination of teaching
Paediatric technical advisor to MSF:
• MSF head-office staff 2007-2011
• Pakistan mission: Evaluation of Paediatric care provided by MSF. October 2010.
• Democratic Republic of Congo mission: Evaluation of high paediatric mortality rates in Dubie. April 2009.
• Haiti mission: Evaluation of neonatal care provided and advice on refurbishing the MSF hospital. November 2008.
• Somalia mission MSF: Evaluation of paediatric care provided and advise on high infant mortality rates, November 2007.
Publications (10 recent/important)
Phiri K, Esan M, Boele van Hensbroek M, Khairallah C, Faragher B, ter Kuile F. Intermittent Preventive Therapy for malaria in the post-discharge management of severe anaemia in pre-school children; a multi-centre, randomized, placebo-controlled trial in Southern Malawi, Lancet Infectious Diseases, 2011, 12;3: 191-200.
Kapito-Tembo A, Meshnick SR, Boele van Hensbroek M, Phiri K, Fitzgerald M, Mwapasa V. Marked reduction in prevalence of malaria parasitemia and anemia in HIV-infected pregnant women taking cotrimoxazole with or without sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine intermittent preventive therapy during pregnancy in Malawi. J Infect Dis. 2011 Feb 15;203(4):464-72.
Boele van Hensbroek M, Jonkers F, Fijnvandraat K, Bates I. (2011) Severe anaemia in Africa, new concepts. Invited review: British Journal of Haematology (2011, 154, 6, 690-695).
Boele van Hensbroek M, Calis J, Phiri K, Vet R, Munthali F, Kraaijenhagen R, van den Berg H, Faragher B, Bates I and Molyneux M. Pathophysiological mechanisms of severe anaemia in Malawian children 2010. PLoS One 5 (9): el2589.
Cheema B, Molyneux EM, Emmanuel JC, M’baya M, Esan M, Kamwendo K, Kalilani L and Boele van Hensbroek M. Development and evaluation of a new paediatric blood transfusion protocol for Africa. Transfusion Medicine, 2010, 20, 140–151
Calis JC, Phiri KS, Vet RJ, de Haan RJ, Munthali F, Kraaijenhagen RJ, Hulshof PJ, Molyneux ME, Brabin BJ, Boele van Hensbroek M, Bates I. Erythropoiesis in HIV-infected and uninfected Malawian children with severe anemia. AIDS. 2010 Nov 27;24(18):2883-7.
Calis J, Phiri K, Faragher B, Brabin B, Bates I, Cuevas L, de Haan R, Phiri A, Malange P, Khoka M, Hulshof P, Lieshout L, Beld M, Teo Y, Rockett K, Richardson A, Kwiatkowski D, Molyneux M, Boele van Hensbroek M. Severe Anemia in Malawian children 2008. New England Journal of Medicine. 358(9)12-23.
Nkhoma E., Boele van Hensbroek P, Lieshout v L, Boele van Hensbroek M. Severe anaemia in an 11month-old girl. 2005 Lancet 365:1202.
Boele van Hensbroek M, Palmer A, Onyiorah E, Schneider G, Jaffar S, Dolan G,
Memming H, Frenkel J, Enwere G, Bennett S, Kwiatkowski D, Greenwood B. The effect of a monoclonal antibody to tumor necrosis factor on survival from childhood cerebral malaria. J Infect Dis. 1996 Nov;174(5):1091-7.
Boele van Hensbroek M. Onyiorah E. Jaffar S. Schneider G. Palmer A. Frenkel J. Enwere G. Forck S. Nusmeijer A. Bennett S. Greenwood B. Kwiatkowski D. 1996. A trial of artemether or quinine in children with cerebral malaria. New England Journal of Medicine 335(2):69-75.
NACCAP-COMMAL (NWO) research and capacity building programme 2005-2012.
NACCAP II (NWO) RSC network programme: 2012-2015
MACHS programme: Impact of a health insurance system on maternal and cHild health in Nigeria: 2010-2015
AFRIM programme: Fluid management in severely malnourished, shocked children in Africa
OPTIMISM study: enzym supplementation study in severe manutrition in Malawi: 2012-2014
TRACT (TRansfusion and TReatment of severe Anaemia in African Children), multicentre : a randomised controlled Trial, African (2012-2016)
Crossing Boarders programme: etnicity and envirment factors in the disease susceptibility of children (in preparation)
Prof. dr. M. Boele van Hensbroek MD PhD
J.B.M. van Woensel MD PhD
Dr. J.C.J. Calis MD PhD
Dr. F.A.M. Jonker MD PhD
S.A. Aderibigbe MD
A.W.D. Edridge MD
M.H.W. Huibers MD
Drs. D. Brals (AIGHD)
Prof. dr. T.W. Kuijpers MD PhD (Infection and inflammation: on the crossroad of hematology and immunology)
- Contribution to guidelines and protocols, MSF paeditric guidelines
- Contribution to training of professionals, MSF-OCA
- Contribution to training of professionals, University of Amsterdam
- Contribution to training of professionals, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, UK
- None reported