- Hoorntje Alexander, Leichtenberg Claudia S., Koenraadt Koen L. M., van Geenen Rutger C. I., Kerkhoffs Gino M. M. J., Nelissen Rob G. H. H., Vliet Vlieland Thea P. M., Kuijer P. Paul F. M. Not Physical Activity, but Patient Beliefs and Expectations are Associated With Return to Work After Total Knee Arthroplasty Journal of arthroplasty 2018;33 (4):1094-1100 [PubMed]
- Hoorntje Alexander, Janssen Kim Y., Bolder Stefan B. T., Koenraadt Koen L. M., Daams Joost G., Blankevoort Leendert, Kerkhoffs Gino M. M. J., Kuijer P. Paul F. M. The Effect of Total Hip Arthroplasty on Sports and Work Participation: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Sports medicine (Auckland, N.Z.) 2018;48 (7):1695-1726 [PubMed]
- Witjes Suzanne, van Geenen Rutger C. I., Koenraadt Koen L. M., van der Hart Cor P., Blankevoort Leendert, Kerkhoffs Gino M. M. J., Kuijer P. Paul F. M. Expectations of younger patients concerning activities after knee arthroplasty: are we asking the right questions? Quality of life research 2017;26 (2):403-417 [PubMed]
- Kuijer P. Paul F. M., Kievit Arthur J., Pahlplatz Thijs M. J., Hooiveld Truus, Hoozemans Marco J. M., Blankevoort Leendert, Schafroth Matthias U., van Geenen Rutger C. I., Frings-Dresen Monique H. W. Which patients do not return to work after total knee arthroplasty? Rheumatology international 2016;36 (9):1249-1254 [PubMed]
- van Zaanen Yvonne, van Geenen Rutger C I, Pahlplatz Thijs M J, Kievit Arthur J, Hoozemans Marco J M, Bakker Eric W P, Blankevoort Leendert, Schafroth Matthias U, Haverkamp Daniel, Vervest Ton M J S, Das Dirk H P W, van der Weegen Walter, Scholtes Vanessa A, Frings-Dresen Monique H W, Kuijer P Paul F M Three Out of Ten Working Patients Expect No Clinical Improvement of Their Ability to Perform Work-Related Knee-Demanding Activities After Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Multicenter Study Journal of occupational rehabilitation 2019;29 (3):585-594 [PubMed]
Paul Kuijer is trained as a human movement scientist and obtained his PhD in medicine in 2002. He is working as a Principal Investigator at the Coronel Institute of Occupational Health, and as a human movement specialist on work-related musculoskeletal disorders at the Netherlands Center for Occupational Diseases and at the People and Work Outpatient Clinic, all part of the Amsterdam UMC-location AMC, Amsterdam.
Paul's research goal is enhancing work participation among patients with musculoskeletal disorders by improving integrated work-directed patient-centred care. He is particularly interested in workers with end-stage knee and hip osteoarthritis given the debilitating impact of this highly prevalent disease on the Dutch work force in the upcoming decades. His main research partners in the Amsterdam UMC are the departments of Orthopaedics and Radiology and outside the Amsterdam UMC the Orthopaedics department of the Amphia Hospital Breda.
In October 2019, Paul is rewarded with the prestigious Anna Prijs 2019-2020 for his outstanding research work on behalf of the Dutch Orthopaedic Association (https://www.orthopeden.org/nieuws/anna-prijs-2019-voor-dr-paul-kuijer). In addition, Paul is a much appreciated (keynote) speaker at national and international venues for occupational medicine and orthopaedics.
Besides doing research and patient care, Paul is coordinator of the three months elective course 'Medicine and Elite sports: high demand professions! Groundbreaking multidisciplinary care for demanding professions' for second year AMC medical students, together with prof. M. Maas. Moreover, Paul teaches (para)medical students at the AMC and the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences and residents in insurance and occupational medicine on how to perform and enhance work-directed care for the aforementioned patients groups.
Paul is currectly the National Secretary of the International Commission on Occupational Health (www.icohweb.org/site/homepage.asp). He represents the Centre of Excellence of the Netherlands Society of Occupational Medicine in the development of clinical guidelines on the aforementioned topics.
P.P.F.M. Kuijer PhD (Enhancing transmural integrated care to support work participation among knee and hip osteoarthritis patients)
Prof. M.H.W. Dresen PhD (Occupational Diseases; Etiology and prevention of work-related diseases)
Prof. J.K. Sluiter PhD (Medical selection and medical guidance of workers)
- B.R.J. Aerts
- A. Hoorntje
- T.M.J. Pahlplatz