- Vermaat JS, Pals ST, Younes A, Dreyling M, Federico M, Aurer I, Radford J, Kersten MJ, Precision medicine in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: hitting the target. HAEMATOLOGICA 2015;100 (8):989-993 [PubMed]
- Kersten MJ , Kraan W, Doorduijn J, Bromberg J, Lam K, Kluin PM, van der Holt BJ, Spaargaren M, Pals ST, Diffuse large B cell lymphomas relapsing in the CNS lack oncogenic MYD88 and CD79B mutations. BLOOD CANCER J 2014;4:e266 [PubMed]
- Mank APM, Schoonenberg C, Bleeker K, Heijmenberg S, Heer Kd, van Oers MHJ, Kersten MJ, Early discharge after high dose chemotherapy is safe and feasible: a prospective evaluation of 6 years of home care. LEUKEMIA LYMPHOMA 2015;56 (7):2098-2104 [PubMed]
- Hommes DW, Duijvestein M, Zelinkova Z, Stokkers PCF, Ley MHd, Stoker J, Voermans C, van Oers MHJ, Kersten MJ, Long-term follow-up of autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for severe refractory Crohn's disease. J CROHNS COLITIS 2011;5 (6):543-549 [PubMed]
- Thijssen R, ter Burg J, van Bochove GGW, de Rooij MFM, Kuil A, Jansen MH, Kuijpers TW, Baars JW, Virone-Oddos A, Spaargaren M, Egile C, van Oers MHJ, Eldering E, Kersten MJ , Kater AP, The pan phosphoinositide 3-kinase/mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitor SAR245409 (voxtalisib/XL765) blocks survival, adhesion and proliferation of primary chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells. LEUKEMIA 2016;30 (2):337-345 [PubMed]
Biology and treatment of lymphoma
Lymphoma is a malignancy of the immune system, resulting from genetic alterations in the lymphoma cells and supported by signals originating from the microenvironment (in the lymph node or bone marrow). With immunochemotherapy, approximately 50% of patients can be cured. Better understanding the biology of lymphoma has resulted in several new treatment options, such as specific kinase inhibitors, antibody drug conjugates and chimeric antigen receptor T cells. The major aims of the research of MJ Kersten are 1. To investigate novel treatments. To this aim a national phase I/II consortium has been established, leading to the availability of novel therapeutic treatment options for lymphoma patients in the Netherlands. MJ Kersten is the principal investigator for several international phase I/II trials (in Hodgkin lymphoma, follicular lymphoma and Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia). Linked to these clinical studies is a translational research program aiming to better understand response and resistance to these novel agents. Furthermore, she has established a biobank for samples of patients with WM. 2. To better understand the biology underlying tumor growth, progression and treatment resistance (in lymphoma, Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia and multiple myeloma). This research is done in collaboration with the pathology department at the AMC (Pals/Spaargaren).
Prof. dr. M.J. Kersten MD
J. Driessen BSc
Y.F. van Lier
Drs. M.L. Nijland
Drs. W.S. Stevens (VUMC)
Prof. dr. M.H.J. van Oers (Pathogenesis and Immunotherapy of B cell malignancies)
- None reported
- Acerta Pharma B.V.
- Celgene Corporation
- Chiltern International BV
- Covance CAPS Ltd.
- Crediteurenadm. VUmc, p/a Profource Service Center
- GlaxoSmithKline BV
- Janssen Cilag B.V.
- Kite Pharma, Inc.
- Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- NIEUWE DEB SO
- Novartis Pharma BV
- PAREXEL International (IRL) Limited
- Pharm-Olam International CRA
- Stichting AMC Foundation
- Stichting Hematologisch Oncologische Wetenschap
- Stichting Hovon Amsterdam, p/a VUmc
- VUmc Research B.V.