- van Wonderen KE, van der Mark LB, Mohrs J, Bindels PJE, van Aalderen WMC, ter Riet G, Different definitions in childhood asthma: how dependable is the dependent variable?. EUR RESPIR J 2010;36 (1):48-56 [PubMed]
- van der Aa LB, van Aalderen WMC, Heymans HSA, Henk Sillevis Smitt J, Nauta AJ, Knippels LMJ, Ben Amor K, Sprikkelman AB, Synbiotics prevent asthma-like symptoms in infants with atopic dermatitis. ALLERGY 2011;66 (2):170-177 [PubMed]
- van Woensel JBM, van Aalderen WMC, Kimpen JLL, Viral lower respiratory tract infection in infants and young children. BMJ-BRIT MED J 2003;327 (7405):36-40C [PubMed]
- Kuethe MC, Vaessen-Verberne AAPH, Elbers RG, van Aalderen WMC, Nurse versus physician-led care for the management of asthma. COCHRANE DB SYST REV 2013;2013 (2):CD009296 [PubMed]
- van der Aa LB, Lutter R, Heymans HSA, Smids BS, Dekker T, van Aalderen WMC, Sillevis Smitt JH , Knippels LMJ, Garssen J, Nauta AJ, Sprikkelman AB [Contributors: George EK, van den Berg NJ, Bosman D, Tytgat GAM, Ree E, van Houten MA]] , No detectable beneficial systemic immunomodulatory effects of a specific synbiotic mixture in infants with atopic dermatitis. CLIN EXP ALLERGY 2012;42 (4):531-539 [PubMed]
Pediatric Pulmonology and Allergy
Primary prevention of allergic diseases
This research line was initiated in 2006. The clinical and immunological ‘march’ of allergic diseases starts early in life. The aim of our studies is to unravel immunologic mechanisms clarifying immunological mechanisms associated with CMA and the subsequent development of tolerance to cow’s milk protein (CMP) and allergic disorders later in childhood in order to provide potential tools for diagnostic, therapeutic and preventive strategies.
We started a food challenge unit and an infant lung function lab for diagnosis and follow-up of infants with early infants wheezing and CMA. A pilot study and one double blind placebo controlled intervention study with synbiotics have recently been finished. Both studies are in the process of writing. In a large epidemiologic multi-country, multi-centre study we included this year 350 newborn babies (goal for one centre n=1500). In another study meant to recognize T cell epitopes on cows milk proteins we have included the majority of the patients and the control group. Studies on infant lung function are progressing and are in the process of writing.
- L. van der Aa. Effects of synbiotics in infants with atopic dermatitis. Amsterdam, 2010
- M. Leijs. The effects of dioxins, PCB’s and BDE’s in Adolescents. Amsterdam 2010.
- Dr G.H. Hutten. The relative impact of EMG respiratory muscle activity on tidal flow and lung volume in infants. Amsterdam 2009.
- Dr W. Hagmolen of ten Have. Towards asthma control in children in general practice: Asthma insights and reality. Amsterdam 2007
- Dr Q.M. van Dellen. Quality of care, selfmanagement and outcome of pediatric asthma in Dutch, Surinamese, Morrocan, and Turkish families. Amsterdam 2007
- Dr P.G. Dahlem. Pediatric acute lung injury: from bedside to bench. Amsterdam 2007
- Dr H. Bunker-Wiersma. Finding the right dose: Studies in Pediatric Pharmacology. Amsterdam 2006.
- Dr E.J. Maarsingh. The electrical activity of respiratory muscles. An indirect measure to estimate airway reactivity in children with recurrent wheezing. Amsterdam 2005.
- Dr A.M. Landstra. Role of serum cortisol in children with asthma. Groningen 2003.
- Dr J.B. van Woensel. Short and long term sequelae after corticos¬teroid inter¬vention in RSV Bron¬chio¬li¬tis. Amsterdam 2003.
- Dr A.B. Sprikkelman. A prospective follow-up study on cow’s milk allergy. Groningen 1999 (co-promotor).
- Dr G.G. Meijer. Epidemiology and exogenous factors in nocturnal airflow limitation in children with asthma. Groningen 1996.
This research group participates in the Centre for Immunology Amsterdam
Prof. dr. W.M.C. van Aalderen
Dr. A.B. Sprikkelman MD PhD
Dr. B.J. Vlieg-Boerstra
E.J. van de Griendt
Drs. L. Hulshof
Drs. N.W.P. Rutjes MD
Drs. T. Pfaff (VUmc)
- None reported