- Jansen Jochem M., Daams Joost G., Koeter Maarten W. J., Veltman Dick J., van den Brink Wim, Goudriaan Anna E. Effects of non-invasive neurostimulation on craving: a meta-analysis Neuroscience and biobehavioral reviews 2013;37 (10 Part 2):2472-2480 [PubMed]
- van Holst Ruth J., Veltman Dick J., Büchel Christian, van den Brink Wim, Goudriaan Anna E. Distorted Expectancy Coding in Problem Gambling: Is the Addictive in the Anticipation? Biological psychiatry 2012;71 (8):741-748 [PubMed]
- Cousijn Janna, Wiers Reinout W., Ridderinkhof K. Richard, van den Brink Wim, Veltman Dick J., Goudriaan Anna E. Grey matter alterations associated with cannabis use: Results of a VBM study in heavy cannabis users and healthy controls NeuroImage 2012;59 (4):3845-3851 [PubMed]
- Schmaal Lianne, Veltman Dick J., Nederveen Aart, van den Brink Wim, Goudriaan Anna E. N-Acetylcysteine Normalizes Glutamate Levels in Cocaine-Dependent Patients: A Randomized Crossover Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Study Neuropsychopharmacology 2012;37 (9):2143-2152 [PubMed]
- Schmaal Lianne, Joos Leen, Koeleman Marte, Veltman Dick J., van den Brink Wim, Goudriaan Anna E. Effects of modafinil on neural correlates of response inhibition in alcohol-dependent patients Biological psychiatry 2013;73 (3):211-218 [PubMed]
Professional Memberships (selection)
2004 – present Member of the Cognitive Neuroscience Society (CNS).
2005 – present Member of the Research Society on Alcoholism (RSA).
2007 – present Member of the Research Institute for Experimental Psychology (EPOS).
2008 – current Member of the Organisation for Human Brain Mapping
2008 – current Full Member European College for Neuropsychopharmacology (ECNP)
Co-promotor of PhD students
- Ruth van Holst (AMC Psychiatry; 2007-2011; promotion date: 16 Sept 2011)
- Janna Cousijn (UvA Psychology; 2008-2012; promotion date: 30 November 2012)
- Lianne Schmaal (AMC Psychiatry; 2008-2012; promotion date: 11 January 2013)
- Leen Joos (University of Antwerp; CAPRI; promotion data: 25 June 2013)
- Eline Zaaijer (AMC; 2011-2014; promotion date: 24 september 2015)
Promotor of PhD students
- Jochem Jansen (AMC Psychiatry (2011- 2016; promotion date: 22 april 2016)
University: Radboud University Nijmegen
Date (dd/mm/yy): 31/10/2000
Study/main subject: Neuropsychology and Rehabilitation Psychology (MA)
University/College of Higher Education: University of Amsterdam
Date: 18/11/2005 (Cum Laude)
Title of thesis: Self-regulation in pathological gambling and related disorders: A neurocognitive and psychophysiological investigation
2012-current: Principal Investigator Addiction Research Arkin-AMC (PI)
2012-current: Psychologist (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy)
2011-2012: Senior Researcher AMC-postdoctoral fellowship (PI: Changing the vulnerable brain in addiction: an rTMS project)
2007-2011: Postdoctoral Researcher: ZonMw Veni grant (PI: Looking for reward or running away from stress and dysphoria)
2006-2007: Postdoc New Investigator Grant (PI; Institute for Research on Gambling; awarded by Harvard Medical School; University of Missouri)
2005-2006: Postdoctoral fellow University of Missouri (Alcohol, Health, Behavior Lab; prof. Kenneth Sher)
Scholarships, grants and prizes
- NCRG Scientific Achievement Award – Young Investigator (2009). Awarded two-yearly.
- American Psychological Association (APA) Division 50 (Addictions) Presentation Award 2009 (APA Convention 2009).
- Poster Awards: European College on Neuropsychopharmacology 2010; Institute for Research on Problem Gambling 2006.
- Travel Award poster presentations: Research Society on Alcoholism (RSA) 2006, 2007; NIDA-CPDD meeting 2011; Miami, USA.
- Principal Investigator: application and admittance as Principal Investigator by the Research Council of the Academic Medical Center (AMC); September 2011.
- Experimental Psychopathology (EPP) Research School PhD student grant: Mieke ter Mors-Schulte (AMC-UvA). June 2012. Amount €200.000,-.
- NWO/ZonMW and NIDA binational Research grant (2009 – Co-PI Dutch project part): Slow-release Naltrexone as a new potential treatment for opiate dependent patients: a questionnaire study into treatment acceptability in patients and clinicians, and a feasibility study. Start project: February 2011); Amount €100.000,-.
- Full proposal European Alcohol Research Foundation (ERAB; PI): Changing the vulnerable brain: a neuromodulation study in alcohol dependence. Funded, November 2010: PI on project; €100.000,-.
- AMC Postdoctoral Fellowship (PI): A neuromodulation-neuroimaging study in alcohol dependence. Funded, March 2010, Start project: January 2011; €150.000,-.
- NWO/ZonMW and NIDA binational Research grant (2007 – PI Dutch project part): Cannabis use: neurobiological risk factors for dependence; (Dutch Scientific Society (NWO; Netherlands and National Institute for Drug Abuse Research (NIDA; USA), Amount €100.000,-.
- NWO/ZonMw “Risky Behavior and Dependence” Program Grant (2007; Co-PI with D.J. Veltman, Ph.D., W. van den Brink, M.D., Ph.D., G. Dom, M.D., Ph.D.) Impulsivity: a treatable risk factor in addiction? (Dutch Scientific Society: ZonMw), Amount €750.000,-.
- Institute for Research on Pathological Gambling and Related Disorders New Investigator Grant (June 2006- PI): Gambling patterns and changes over time in a college sample: a longitudinal study. Awarded by the Division of Addictions, Harvard Medical School; Amount: $53.000,-.
- Veni grant, Dutch Scientific Society-NWO, ZonMw (January 2006-PI): Looking for reward or running away from stress and dysphoria: different vulnerabilities and pathways to addictive behaviors. Postdoctoral 3-year research grant (2007-2011). Amount: €208.000,-.
- ZonMw Grant, Addiction Program (2003 – Co-PI). Pathogenic mechanisms in pathological gambling: An fMRI study into deficient self-regulation. Amount: €169.000,-
Review and editorial tasks (selection)
- Editorial Board Member: Current Drug Abuse Reviews; Open Addiction Journal
- Associate Editor: Journal of Behavioral Addictions
- Reviewer: Addiction; Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Research; Biological Psychiatry; Brain; Drug and Alcohol Dependence; European Addiction Research; European Journal of Neuropsycho-pharmacology; Journal of Behavioral Addictions; Journal of Gambling Research; Neuroimage; Neuropsychologia; Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews; Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging; Psychological Medicine; Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
- Grant reviewer: NWO-ZonMw, ERAB (European Foundation for Alcohol Research), Australian Science Foundation; Fondation National de Recherche Scientifique (FNRS; Belgium).
Academic Teaching Experience
Starting during my Ph.D., up till now, I have taught a variety of courses, from basic scientific skills teaching, to highly specialised courses at the research master level, and from large scale lectures to interactive workgroups: practical neuropsychology; case report supervision groups (neuropsychology): courses in addiction, in scientific research and writing skills; general tutoring of bachelor students; supervising of over 20 master thesis students.
Lectures and courses for students (selection):
- AMC Medicine Masters; Universiteit Utrecht: Social Sciences Bachelors (coordination: R. van den Eijnden); PhD Summer Institute University of Amsterdam); Amsterdam University College Bachelors; AMC Masters Psychobiology: UvA Masters pedagogiek: (coordination: Prof. A. Huizink); Postdoctoral GZ-courses Addiction (Cure & Care, RINO); VU Clinical Neuropsychology Master; VU Medicine.
Prof. PhD A.E. Goudriaan (Neurobiological mechanisms of action and treatment effects in addictive disorders)
Neuroimaging and neurocognitive studies of behavioral addiction: comparability to substance dependence
Impulsivity and reward sensitivity as neurobiological markers of addiction
Psychopharmacological studies in substance dependence: alcohol dependence, cocaine dependence, heroin dependence
Studying the therapeutical mechanisms of action of cognitive enhancers and opioid antagonists through neuroimaging
Epidemiology of problem gambling behaviors in young adults
Cognitive-motivational mechanisms underlying increasing or decreasing cannabis use in at-risk young adult users
PhD M. Blankers
PhD J. Cousijn
PhD G.H. de Weert-van Oene
PhD M.J. Kikkert
PhD R.J. van Holst
MA S. Bakelaar
MA E. Beraha Menahem
MA E. Asperslag
Prof. MD PhD W. van den Brink (Addiction: pathogenesis, mechanisms of relapse and treatment effectiveness)
- TUV INTERCERT GmbH (Group of TUV Saarland)
- Universiteit van Amsterdam-ABC
- ZonMw (Vrijgesteld)