Publications Dr. G.T.M.L. Oei BSc MD PhD
- Main activities
- Patient care, Research
- Anesthesiology, cardiovascular research
- Focus of research
Cardioprotection by noble gases and inhaled anesthetics
Anesthetic gases such as sevoflurane, desflurane and isoflurane but also xenon have organ protective properties. Possible mechanisms include signaling kinases affecting several end effectors such as mitochondria and mitondrial channels. The complex mechanism underlying anesthetic-induced cardioprotection resemble the mechanisms underlying ischemic pre- and postconditioning. For the clinic, ischemic conditioning is not so much an attractive option, as it can induce significant organ damage itself.
The non-anesthetic noble gas helium can also protect the heart against episodes of ischemia/reperfusion. Application of 15 minutes of helium 24 hours before or directly after the index ischemia induces late preconditioning and postconditioning respectively. In our line of research we focus on the mechanism of action behind helium induced conditioning in the heart. We are currently investigating the transcriptional effects of helium inhalation on genes involved in cell death and -survival. We also investigate the role of helium conditioning and caveolin.
Another important aspect of our research is the protection of the diseased rat, in experimental models of diabetes and hypertension we have investigated the effectiveness of helium induced cardioprotection. Finally, we investigate whether helium can exert protective effects in humans and whether it is safe. In the future, more studies in human subjects will follow, in which possible mechanisms of action will be investigated.
- Flick M, Albrecht M, Oei GTML, Steenstra R, Kerindongo RP, Zuurbier CJ, Patel HH, Hollmann MW, Preckel B, Weber NC, Helium postconditioning regulates expression of caveolin-1 and -3 and induces RISK pathway activation after ischaemia/reperfusion in cardiac tissue of rats. EUR J PHARMACOL 2016;791:718-725 [PubMed]
- Oei GTML, Aslami H, Kerindongo RP, Steenstra RJ, Beurskens CJP, Tuip-de Boer AM, Juffermans NP, Hollmann MW, Preckel B, Weber NC, Prolonged helium postconditioning protocols during early reperfusion do not induce cardioprotection in the rat heart in vivo: role of inflammatory cytokines. J IMMUNOL RES 2015;2015:216798 [PubMed]
- Oei GTML, Rademaker BMP, Altena MC, van der Willigen N, Riezebos RK, de Vries C, Massive Pulmonary Embolism after Prolonged Spinal Fusion Surgery and the Golden Hour. J ANESTH CLIN RES 2015;6 (6):1-5
- Oei GTML, Heger M, van Golen RF, Alles LK, Flick M, van der Wal AC, van Gulik TM, Hollmann MW, Preckel B, Weber NC, Reduction of cardiac cell death after helium postconditioning in rats: transcriptional analysis of cell death and survival pathways. MOL MED 2014;20:516-526 [PubMed]
- Oei GTML. Helium-induced cardioprotection: in sickness and in health, for better or for worse?. s.l.: s.n.; 2013. 268p. ISBN 9789088917486 [UvA Dissertations Online] Proefschrift Universiteit van Amsterdam. (Promotor(s): Hollmann MW, Preckel B; copromotor(s): Hauck-Weber NC)
- Smit KF, Oei GTML, Brevoord D, Stroes ES, Nieuwland R, Schlack WS, Hollmann MW, Weber NC, Preckel B, Helium induces preconditioning in human endothelium in vivo. ANESTHESIOLOGY 2013;118 (1):95-104 [PubMed]
- Oei GTML, Huhn R, Heinen A, Hollmann MW, Schlack WS, Preckel B, Weber NC, Helium-induced cardioprotection of healthy and hypertensive rat myocardium in vivo. EUR J PHARMACOL 2012;684 (1-3):125-131 [PubMed]
- Oei GTML, Smit KF, vd Vondervoort D, Brevoord D, Hoogendijk A, Wieland CW, Hollmann MW, Preckel B, Weber NC, Effects of helium and air inhalation on the innate and early adaptive immune system in healthy volunteers ex vivo. J TRANSL MED 2012;10 (1):201 [PubMed]
- Berger MM, Huhn R, Oei GT, Heinen A, Winzer A, Bauer I, Preckel B, Weber NC, Schlack W, Hollmann MW, Hypoxia Induces Late Preconditioning in the Rat Heart In Vivo. ANESTHESIOLOGY 2010;113 (6):1351-1360 [PubMed]
- Oei GTML, Weber NC, Hollmann MW, Preckel B, Cellular Effects of Helium in Different Organs. ANESTHESIOLOGY 2010;112 (6):1503-1510 [PubMed]
- Huhn R, Heinen A, Weber NC, Kerindongo RP, Oei GTML, Hollmann MW, Schlack W, Preckel B, Helium-induced early preconditioning and postconditioning are abolished in obese Zucker rats in vivo. J PHARMACOL EXP THER 2009;329 (2):600-607 [PubMed]