- Vlaar APJ, Juffermans NP, Transfusion-related acute lung injury: a clinical review. LANCET 2013;382 (9896):984-994 [PubMed]
- Vlaar APJ, Hofstra JJ, Determann RM, Veelo DP, Paulus F, Kulik W, Korevaar J, de Mol BA, Koopman MMW, Porcelijn L, Binnekade JM, Vroom MB, Schultz MJ, Juffermans NP, The incidence, risk factors, and outcome of transfusion-related acute lung injury in a cohort of cardiac surgery patients: a prospective nested case-control study. BLOOD 2011;117 (16):4218-4225 [PubMed]
- Vlaar APJ, Hofstra JJ, Kulik W, van Lenthe H, Nieuwland R, Schultz MJ, Levi MM, Roelofs JJTH, Tool ATJ, de Korte D, Juffermans NP, Supernatant of stored platelets causes lung inflammation and coagulopathy in a novel in vivo transfusion model. BLOOD 2010;116 (8):1360-1368 [PubMed]
- Peters AL, van Hezel ME, Cortjens B, Tuip-de Boer AM, van Bruggen R, de Korte D, Jonkers RE, Bonta PI, Zeerleder SS, Lutter R, Juffermans NP, Vlaar APJ, Transfusion of 35-Day Stored RBCs in the Presence of Endotoxemia Does Not Result in Lung Injury in Humans. CRIT CARE MED 2016;44 (6):e412-e419 [PubMed]
- Müller MCA , van Stein D, Binnekade JM, van Rhenen DJ, Vlaar APJ, Low-risk transfusion-related acute lung injury donor strategies and the impact on the onset of transfusion-related acute lung injury: a meta-analysis. TRANSFUSION 2015;55 (1):164-175 [PubMed]
Transfusion related morbidity and mortality
Alexander Vlaar has received his MD degree in 2005 from the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Groningen and his PhD degree in 2010 from the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Amsterdam. In 2015 he was board certified in Internal Medicine and in 2016 he received European board certification in Intensive Care Medicine. Since 2016, Alexander Vlaar is consultant critical care medicine and principal investigator at the Department of Intensive Care Medicine and at the Laboratory of Experimental Intensive Care and Anesthesiology.
Focus of Alexanders’ research is transfusion related morbidity and mortality in the critically ill. His research lines consist, among others, of pre-clinical and clinical investigation in the field of antibody and non-antibody mediated transfusion related acute lung injury (TRALI). Alexander Vlaar is currently supported by a personal grant from the Netherlands Organization for Health Research and Development (NWO-VENI grant 2013). His research has been awarded with many scientific awards. Recently he received for his work the Heineken Young Scientist Award for Medicine 2014 from the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW).
F.E.H.P. van Baarle
Drs. J. Bosboom
S. de Bruin MSc (Sanquin)
R.B. Klanderman MD
K.S.H. Morsing (Sanquin Research and Landsteiner Laboratory)
Drs. E.K. van de Weerdt
Prof. dr. M.W. Hollmann MD PhD (Organprotection)
Prof. M.J. Schultz MD PhD (Prevention and treatment of organ failure in intensive care medicine)
Prof. N.P. Juffermans MD PhD (Pathogenesis and treatment of organ failure in the critically ill)
- None reported
- Asahi Kasai Pharma America Corp.
- Edwards Lifesciences
- Sanquin Plasma Products B.V.
- Sanquin - Unit Transfusiegeneeskunde