- Klaassen Ingeborg, van Noorden Cornelis J. F., Schlingemann Reinier O. Molecular basis of the inner blood-retinal barrier and its breakdown in diabetic macular edema and other pathological conditions Progress in retinal and eye research 2013;34:19-48 [PubMed]
- Schlingemann Reinier O., van Noorden Cornelis J. F., Diekman Mattheus J. M., Tiller Anna, Meijers Joost C. M., Koolwijk Pieter, Wiersinga Wilmar M. VEGF levels in plasma in relation to platelet activation, glycemic control, and microvascular complications in type 1 diabetes Diabetes care 2013;36 (6):1629-1634 [PubMed]
- Siemerink Martin J., Klaassen Ingeborg, Vogels Ilse M. C., Griffioen Arjan W., van Noorden Cornelis J. F., Schlingemann Reinier O. CD34 marks angiogenic tip cells in human vascular endothelial cell cultures Angiogenesis 2012;15 (1):151-163 [PubMed]
- Mitchell Paul, Bandello Francesco, Schmidt-Erfurth Ursula, Lang Gabriele E., Massin Pascale, Schlingemann Reinier O., Sutter Florian, Simader Christian, Burian Gabriela, Gerstner Ortrud, Weichselberger Andreas The RESTORE Study Ranibizumab Monotherapy or Combined with Laser versus Laser Monotherapy for Diabetic Macular Edema Ophthalmology 2011;118 (4):615-625 [PubMed]
- Sohn Elliott H., van Dijk Hille W., Jiao Chunhua, Kok Pauline H. B., Jeong Woojin, Demirkaya Nazli, Garmager Allison, Wit Ferdinand, Kucukevcilioglu Murat, van Velthoven Mirjam E. J., DeVries J. Hans, Mullins Robert F., Kuehn Markus H., Schlingemann Reinier Otto, Sonka Milan, Verbraak Frank D., Abràmoff Michael David Retinal neurodegeneration may precede microvascular changes characteristic of diabetic retinopathy in diabetes mellitus Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2016;113 (19):E2655-E2664 [PubMed]
Prof. MD PhD R.O. Schlingemann (Ocular angiogenesis and Ocular imaging)
Within the Department of Ophthalmology of the AMC, basic research on diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, angiogenesis and fibrosis has been a major research line in the last 14 years. In the last year, our research group has investigated the pathobiological mechanisms underlying the two most important blinding diseases of the Western world: diabetic retinopathy (DR) and age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Blindness in DR and AMD is caused by vascular leakage, angiogenesis and scarring. However, both DR and AMD have a long but poorly understood pre-clinical phase where the basis for final disease development is laid. Therefore our translational research projects have focussed on the cellular and molecular mechanisms involved in both these early stages as in the final blinding processes of vascular leakage, angiogenesis and fibrosis. By a collaborative approach we have studied the following main subjects:
-Cellular and molecular basis of increased microvascular permeability in DR.
-Interactions between endothelial cells, leukocytes and platelets in DR as a cause of capillary loss in DR.
-Role of connective tissue growth factor (CTGF) and its up- and downstream mediators in the early pre-clinical stage of DR.
-The pathogenesis of fibrosis and scarring as the fional outcome of angiogenesis in proliferative DR and exudative AMD.
-Role of complement activation and the proteasome in retinal pigment epithelium in the pathogenesis of the early stages of AMD.
These studies have led to several important contributions to the field:
- the discovery that polarized secretion of VEGF by epithelia maintains fenestrated capillaries in the normal eye and other tissues
- the discovery that altered vesicular transport via caveolae is an important mechanism of VEGF-induced retinal vascular leakage
- the discovery that CTGF causes basement membrane thickening in early DR
- identification of the role of the balance of intra-ocular VEGF and CTGF in the angio-fibrotic switch
Themes: Cardiovascular Diseases, Metabolic Disorders and Neurological and Psychiatric Disorders
PhD F.D. Verbraak
PhD I. Klaassen
BEng I.M.C. Vogels
- Bayer Consumer Care AG
- Chengdu Kanghong Biotechnology Co.
- Covance International Holdings B.V.
- European Foundation for the Study of Diabetes
- Europese Unie
- Newcastle University
- Novartis Pharma BV
- Oogfonds, voorheen MaculaFonds
- Roche Nederland B.V.
- Rotterdamse Stichting Blindenbelangen
- Stichting AMC Foundation (Vrijgesteld)
- Stichting Blindenhulp
- UMC St. Radboud