- Connolly Stuart J., Milling Truman J., Eikelboom John W., Gibson C. Michael, Curnutte John T., Gold Alex, Bronson Michele D., Lu Genmin, Conley Pamela B., Verhamme Peter, Schmidt Jeannot, Middeldorp Saskia, Cohen Alexander T., Beyer-Westendorf Jan, Albaladejo Pierre, Lopez-Sendon Jose, Goodman Shelly, Leeds Janet, Wiens Brian L., Siegal Deborah M., Zotova Elena, Meeks Brandi, Nakamya Juliet, Lim W. Ting, Crowther Mark, Connolly S. C., Crowther M., Eikelboom J., Gibson M., Milling T. J., Albaladejo P., Cohen A., Lopez-Sendon J., Schmidt J., Verhamme P., Beyer-Westendorf J., Wyse D. G., Garcia D., Prins M. [=Martin H.], Nakamya J., Büller H. R., Mahaffey K., Alexander J., Demchuk A., Raskob G., Schulman S., Meeks B., Zotova E., Holadyk-Gris I., Coppens M. Andexanet Alfa for Acute Major Bleeding Associated with Factor Xa Inhibitors New England journal of medicine 2016;375 (12):1131-1141 [PubMed]
- Büller Harry R., Décousus Hervé, Grosso Michael A., Mercuri Michele, Middeldorp Saskia, Prins Martin H., Raskob Gary E., Schellong Sebastian M., Schwocho Lee, Segers Annelise, Shi Minggao, Verhamme Peter, Wells Phil, Agnelli Giancarlo, Angchaisuksiri Pantep, Banyai Martin, Bauersachs Rupert, van Bellen Bonno, Blüguermann Julio, Boda Zoltán, Bounameaux Henri, Brenner Benjamin, Brighton Tim, Castañon Javier Diaz, Chechulov Pavel, Chlumský Yaromir, Cohen Alexander, Davidson Bruce, Decousus Hervé, Eriksson Henry, Gallus Alexander, Gudz Ivan, Jacobson Barry, Heng Lee Lai, Lyons Roger, Meijer Karina, Minar Erich, Monreal Manuel, Nakamura Mashio, Oh Doyeun, Öngen Gül, Parakh Rajiv, Piovella Franco, Beenen Ludo, Peters Ron, Roos Yvo, Zhao J., Gerdes V. E. A., Kamphuisen P. W., Eerenberg E. S. Edoxaban versus Warfarin for the Treatment of Symptomatic Venous Thromboembolism New England journal of medicine 2013;369 (15):1406-1415 [PubMed]
- Cunha Marisa L. R., Bakhtiari Kamran, Peter Jorge, Marquart J. Arnoud, Meijers Joost C. M., Middeldorp Saskia A novel mutation in the F5 gene (factor V Amsterdam) associated with bleeding independent of factor V procoagulant function Blood 2015;125 (11):1822-1825 [PubMed]
- de Jong Paulien G., Goddijn Mariëtte, Middeldorp Saskia Antithrombotic therapy for pregnancy loss Human reproduction update 2013;19 (6):656-673 [PubMed]
- Reitsma Pieter H., Versteeg Henri H., Middeldorp Saskia Mechanistic View of Risk Factors for Venous Thromboembolism Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology 2012;32 (3):563-568 [PubMed]
Saskia Middeldorp, MD, qualified as a medical doctor at the University of Amsterdam in 1992. She received her training in internal medicine at the Academic Medical Center in Amsterdam and obtained her board licence in 1999 (subspecialty Vascular Medicine, 2002). Since December 2010, she is professor and co-chair of the Department of Vascular Medicine of the Academic Medical Center. She leads the residency program of vascular medicine and is head of the trial unit of the Department. Her present research focuses on several aspects of hereditary and acquired thrombophilia, women’s issues in thrombosis and haemostasis, and the clinical evaluation of new anticoagulants.
Dr Middeldorp defended her thesis entitled “Clinical and laboratory studies in hereditary and acquired prothrombotic states” in 2000. She was Associate Professor of the Department of Vascular Medicine in the Academic Medical Center (until December 2006) and co-director of the Dutch Cochrane Centre (2003-2005). From December 2006 to July 2010, she was Associate Professor in the Departments of Clinical Epidemiology and Internal Medicine at the Leiden University Medical Center. She was project leader of the NEO Study, a large population-based cohort of obese individuals that aims to study the etiology of various conditions and diseases in obesity.
Professor Middeldorp held a research fellowship (2003-2007) and was Clinical Established Investigator (2008-2010) of the Netherlands Heart Foundation. She holds a VIDI grant from the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) (2012-present). She is co-chair of the Scientific Subcommittee of Women’s Issues in Thrombosis and Haemostasis of the International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH), a Member of the Advisory Board of The Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis (2001), is Editor of The Cochrane Collaborative Review Group on Peripheral Vascular Diseases (2003), Member of the Scientific Advisory Boards of the Netherlands Heart Foundation (2007-2010) and Dutch Thrombosis Foundation (2007). She has co-authored over 160 peer-reviewed papers and several book chapters, and reviews manuscripts for international scientific journals.
She is co-author of the Pregnancy chapter of the ACCP guidelines on Antithrombotic management (2012).
Prof. MD PhD S. Middeldorp (Vascular Medicine)
Lines of research are:
1) Reproductive issues in thrombosis and haemostasis. This includes the topic of
thrombophilia and reproduction that is subject of this research proposal. Furthermore,
diagnostic, prophylactic and therapeutic management of venous thromboembolism in
pregnant women is part of this research line.
2) Genetic and acquired risk factors for venous thromboembolism. This research line has
the overall aim to identify novel genetic risk factors, by means of classical linkage
analysis and next generation whole exome sequencing in families that have been
collected because of an unexplained tendency to familial venous thromboembolism. It
also aims to translate the findings to the clinical implications of thrombophilia.
3) New anticoagulant drugs. This research line includes the aim to identify determinants
of recurrent thrombosis and bleeding in patients using the new anticoagulant drugs
(collaboration Dr J.W. Eikelboom, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada). Furthermore,
clinical application of the new drugs is part of this research line.
4) The applicant was project leader and initiated the NEO Study, a large populationbased
cohort of obese individuals that aims to study the etiology of various conditions
and diseases in obesity (2006-2010). She still collaborates on vascular aspects of obesity
(collaboration Prof. dr. F.R. Rosendaal, LUMC).
MD PhD M. Coppens
MD W. Thijs
Prof. PhD H.R. Buller (Venous and arterial thromboembolic diseases)
- AMC (Vrijgesteld)
- AP-HP Carre Histoique de l'Hopital Saint Louis
- Aspen Pharma Ireland Ltd.
- BAYER B.V.
- Bayer AG
- Boehringer Ingelheim BV
- Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH
- Daiichi Sankyo Europe GmbH
- Exom Group
- IQVIA RDS Netherlands B.V.
- NIEUWE DEB IND
- Thrombosis Research Institute
- Trombose Stichting Nederland