- ter Veer Emil, Haj Mohammad Nadia, van Valkenhoef Gert, Ngai Lok Lam, Mali Rosa M. A., Anderegg Maarten C., van Oijen Martijn G. H., van Laarhoven Hanneke W. M. The Efficacy and Safety of First-line Chemotherapy in Advanced Esophagogastric Cancer: A Network Meta-analysis Journal of the National Cancer Institute 2016;108 (10):djw166 [PubMed]
- Ebbing Eva A., Steins Anne, Fessler Evelyn, Stathi Phylicia, Lesterhuis Willem Joost, Krishnadath Kausilia K., Vermeulen Louis, Medema Jan Paul, Bijlsma Maarten F., van Laarhoven Hanneke W. M. Esophageal Adenocarcinoma Cells and Xenograft Tumors Exposed to Erb-b2 Receptor Tyrosine Kinase 2 and 3 Inhibitors Activate Transforming Growth Factor Beta Signaling, Which Induces Epithelial to Mesenchymal Transition Gastroenterology 2017;153 (1):63-76.e14 [PubMed]
- ter Veer Emil, van Rijssen L. Bengt, Besselink Marc G., Mali Rosa M. A., Berlin Jordan D., Boeck Stefan, Bonnetain Franck, Chau Ian, Conroy Thierry, van Cutsem Eric, Deplanque Gael, Friess Helmut, Glimelius Bengt, Goldstein David, Herrmann Richard, Labianca Roberto, van Laethem Jean-Luc, Macarulla Teresa, van der Meer Jonathan H. M., Neoptolemos John P., Okusaka Takuji, O'Reilly Eileen M., Pelzer Uwe, Philip Philip A., van der Poel Marcel J., Reni Michele, Scheithauer Werner, Siveke Jens T., Verslype Chris, Busch Olivier R., Wilmink Johanna W., van Oijen Martijn G. H., van Laarhoven Hanneke W. M. Consensus statement on mandatory measurements in pancreatic cancer trials (COMM-PACT) for systemic treatment of unresectable disease lancet oncology 2018;19 (3):e151-e160
- Ebbing Eva A., van der Zalm Amber P., Steins Anne, Creemers Aafke, Hermsen Simone, Rentenaar Rosa, Klein Michelle, Waasdorp Cynthia, Hooijer Gerrit K. J., Meijer Sybren L., Krishnadath Kausilia K., Punt Cornelis J. A., van Berge Henegouwen Mark I., Gisbertz Suzanne S., van Delden Otto M., Hulshof Maarten C. C. M., Medema Jan Paul, van Laarhoven Hanneke W. M., Bijlsma Maarten F. Stromal-derived interleukin 6 drives epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and therapy resistance in esophageal adenocarcinoma Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2019;116 (6):2237-2242 [PubMed]
- van Kleef Jessy Joy, ter Veer Emil, van den Boorn H. ctor G., Schokker Sandor, Ngai Lok Lam, Prins Mariska J., Mohammad Nadia Haj, van de Poll-Franse Lonneke V., Zwinderman Aeilko H., van Oijen Martijn G. H., Sprangers Mirjam A. G., van Laarhoven Hanneke W. M. Quality of Life During Palliative Systemic Therapy for Esophagogastric Cancer: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis: systematic review and meta-analysis Journal of the National Cancer Institute 2020;112 (1):12-29 [PubMed]
Prof. PhD H.W.M. van Laarhoven (Translational research in medical oncology)
Important new targeted therapies are currently under development for the systemic treatment of cancer. However, only a subset of patients will respond to these treatments which are potentially toxic and expensive. In this research programme we aim to bridge preclinical and clinical approaches, to improve cancer treatment as well prediction of response to treatment, based on insights in tumor biology. Building on the knowledge acquired in our previous studies on tumor microenvironment of breast and colorectal cancer, we now focus on oesophagogastric and pancreatic cancer, for which we have developed a tumor and blood biobank. In preclinical studies we evaluate, for example, the dynamics of growth factor receptor expression during systemic cancer treatment and cancer progression and study the interaction between tumor cells and their microenvironment. Experiments to elucidate the identity of genes that are expressed in relation to the tumor microenvironment are part of these studies.
Based on these studies, as a second research line, we are developing new strategies to combine and sequentially introduce targeted agents as well as chemotherapy in the treatment of oesophagogastric cancer. New imaging modalities, including advanced diffusion weighted imaging techniques and PET-scans with a novel tracers, are introduced to assess the tumor micro-environment – with a special emphasis on the visualization of tumor stroma, vascularization, and oxygenation. The potential of these techniques to serve as biomarkers is evaluated. Furthermore, we assess the effect of systemic therapy and the value of biomarkers not only in clinical trials, but also in a 'real world setting', using data from the Dutch Cancer Registry.
For these two research lines the collaboration with LEXOR and the departments of Pathology, Radiology and Nuclear Medicine in the AMC, as well as the Dutch Cancer Registry, is indispensable.
As a third research line we focuss on the improvement of quality of life in oncological patients. We identified several new factors related to distress (e.g. the experience of time and future perspective), unravelled pathophysiological mechnisms related to severe fatigue after cancer treatment and developed new models of care for surveillance of women with a high genetic cancer risk and for the follow-up of patients after curative treatment of cancer. We have developed a support tool, focusing on ultimate life goals, for advanced cancer patients and have assessed its value in a randomized controlled trial in collaboration with the Department of Pastoral Care as well as the Department of Religious Studies of the Radboud University Nijmegen. A new intervention is currently being developed, incorporating performative arts and literature in the intervention. Also, we have initiated studies to follow-up on the survival and quality of life of esophagogastric and pancreatic cancer patients and develop prediction models for these outcome measures to support personalized treatment decision making.
See also Beter kijken naar kanker: Op weg naar een behandeling op maat (video)
MD R. Molenaar
PhD R.H.A. Verhoeven
BA R.A. Jibodh
BSc J.A. Pijpers
MSc M.J. Prins
Prof. MD MSc PhD M.G.H. Besselink (Pancreatic and Hepato-Biliary Surgery)
- Amgen BV
- Antonie van Leeuwenhoek Ziekenhuis
- BAYER B.V.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Int. Corp.
- Celgene B.V.
- Disphar International BV
- EORTC IASBL/Quality of Life Group
- Eli Lilly Cork Limited
- Eli Lilly Nederland BV
- Erasmus MC
- Europese Unie
- GlaxoSmithKline BV
- Integraal Kankercentrum Nederland
- Iovance, c/o PRA UK Ltd
- KWF Kankerbestrijding
- Maag, Lever, Darm Stichting
- Merck Sharp & Dohme BV
- Nordic Pharma B.V.
- Philips Electronics Nederland B.V. Research
- Roche Nederland B.V.
- Servier Affaires Medicales
- Stichting AMC Foundation
- Stichting Hartwig Medical Foundation
- Stichting voor Lever en Maag- Darmonderzoek
- UMC Utrecht
- VitroScan B.V.
- inVentiv Health Clinical UK Ltd