- van der Pol Edwin, Böing Anita N., Harrison Paul, Sturk Augueste, Nieuwland Rienk Classification, Functions, and Clinical Relevance of Extracellular Vesicles Pharmacological reviews 2012;64 (3):676-705 [PubMed]
- Berckmans René J., Sturk Auguste, van Tienen Laurens M., Schaap Marianne C. L., Nieuwland Rienk Cell-derived vesicles exposing coagulant tissue factor in saliva Blood 2011;117 (11):3172-3180 [PubMed]
- van der Pol Edwin, Coumans Frank A. W., Sturk Auguste, Nieuwland Rienk, van Leeuwen Ton G. Refractive Index Determination of Nanoparticles in Suspension Using Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis Nano letters 2014;14 (11):6195-6201 [PubMed]
- Kalra Hina, Simpson Richard J., Ji Hong, Aikawa Elena, Altevogt Peter, Askenase Philip, Bond Vincent C., Borràs Francesc E., Breakefield Xandra, Budnik Vivian, Buzas Edit, Camussi Giovanni, Clayton Aled, Cocucci Emanuele, Falcon-Perez Juan M., Gabrielsson Susanne, Gho Yong Song, Gupta Dwijendra, Harsha H. C., Hendrix An, Hill Andrew F., Inal Jameel M., Jenster Guido, Krämer-Albers Eva-Maria, Lim Sai Kiang, Llorente Alicia, Lötvall Jan, Marcilla Antonio, Mincheva-Nilsson Lucia, Nazarenko Irina, Nieuwland Rienk, Nolte-'t Hoen Esther N. M., Pandey Akhilesh, Patel Tushar, Piper Melissa G., Pluchino Stefano, Prasad T. S. Keshava, Rajendran Lawrence, Raposo Graca, Record Michel, Reid Gavin E., Sánchez-Madrid Francisco, Schiffelers Raymond M., Siljander Pia, Stensballe Allan, Stoorvogel Willem, Taylor Douglas, Thery Clotilde, Valadi Hadi, van Balkom Bas W. M., Vázquez Jesús, Vidal Michel, Wauben Marca H. M., Yáñez-Mó María, Zoeller Margot, Mathivanan Suresh Vesiclepedia: A Compendium for Extracellular Vesicles with Continuous Community Annotation PLoS biology 2012;10 (12):e1001450 [PubMed]
- van der Pol E., Coumans F. A. W., Grootemaat A. E., Gardiner C., Sargent I. L., Harrison P., Sturk A., van Leeuwen T. G., Nieuwland R. Particle size distribution of exosomes and microvesicles determined by transmission electron microscopy, flow cytometry, nanoparticle tracking analysis, and resistive pulse sensing Journal of thrombosis and haemostasis 2014;12 (7):1182-1192 [PubMed]
Member of the Executive Board of the International Society on Extracellular Vesicles (www.isev.org)
Chair of the SSC scientific Subcommittee on Vascular Biology of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (www.isth.org)
Coordinator of the European Metrology Research Programme METVES (www.metves.eu)
Lid Colloquium Doctum Commissie (Centrale Commissie Voortentamen Biologie)
Cytometry Development Workshop (San Diego, CA), Oct 2016
ISEV Massive Open Online Course Basics of Extracellular Vesicles (www.isev.org/isev-mooc-basics-of-extracellular-vesicles/), 2016
PhD course on Extracellular Vesicles of the Karolinska Institute (Sweden, Stockholm), 2016
Maastricht Summerschool on Thrombin Generation (Maastricht, Netherlands), June 2016
Invited lectures at Universities of Helsinki (Helsinki, Finland; 2016), Danube (Krems; Austria; 2016), Warsaw (Warsaw, Poland; 2016), Vienna (Vienna, Austria; 2016), Gent (Gent, Belgium; 2015),Oxford (Oxford, UK; 2015).
Webinar on "Microvesicles: what is their function" (ISTH), Jan 2015
PhD R. Nieuwland (Extracellular vesicles and platelets in health and disease)
All human body fluids contain not only cells but also high concentrations (10E7-10E12/mL) of cell-derived (extracellular) vesicles.The bulk (>80%) of these extracelullar vesicles (EV) are ultra-small, having a diameter < 200 nm. Because (i) the concentration, composition, cellular origin and function of extracellular vesicles (EV) change during disease, and because (ii) EV play an active role in disease development and progression, intercellular communication and protection of cells and even organisms, there is since 2000-2001 an exponentionally growing scientific and clinical interest in EV.
By an intensive and long-standing collaboration with the Department of Biomedical Engineering (Prof. Dr. T.G. van Leeuwen, Dr. F. Coumans, Dr. E. van der Pol), we have now an internationally acknowledged research group with a keen interest on EV detection, isolation and functional characterization. Earlier we coordinated an EU metrology research project focused on detection of EV (www.metves.eu). In 2014, we initiated a Dutch STW-funded perspectief program (M€ 5.8), CANCER-ID, which is a collaboration between 6 Dutch universities and 22 SME's, and aimed at developing one or more platforms to enable the reliable detection and characterization of tumor-derived vesicles in blood.
The output of our multi-disciplinary collaboration is internationally appreciated and acknowledged, as evident from invitations to present keynote/state-of the art lectures (ISTH 2013, ISAC 2015, Gordon Conference 2016), co-founding the international flow cytometry work group of ISEV-ISAC-ISTH (www.evflowcytometry.org), coordinating a first multi-centre trial –the Bouilloud study- on the prediction of venous thromboembolism in cancer patients (800-1,000 patients) by measuring the coagulant activity of EV using an AMC-developed functional EV assay, invitations to contribute to development of online teaching courses (ISEV, ISTH), invitation to contribute to training of students (e.g. Karolinska Institute 2015, CDW Course San Diego 2016), invitation from scientific journals as Circulation Research (American Heart Association) to coordinate a review on isolation and detection of EV (to be published in 2017), etc. Furthermore, we also provide an international student training facility.
Finally, we have a unique central platelet research facility within the AMC, which has been used by >10 different departments within the AMC and VUMC for clinical platelet studies.
PhD R.J. Berckmans
MEng PhD F.A.W. Coumans
MSc L. Rikkert
BEng N. Hajji
BA BEng C.M. Hau
Prof. PhD A. Sturk
- AcouSort AB
- EURAMET e.V
- Technologiestichting STW