- Klaver Charlotte E. L., Musters Gijsbert D., Bemelman Willem A., Punt Cornelis J. A., Verwaal Victor J., Dijkgraaf Marcel G. W., Aalbers Arend G. J., van der Bilt Jarmila D. W., Boerma Djamila, Bremers Andre J. A., Burger Jacobus W. A., Buskens Christianne J., Evers Pauline, van Ginkel Robert J., van Grevenstein Wilhelmina M. U., Hemmer Patrick H. J., de Hingh Ignace H. J. T., Lammers Laureen A., van Leeuwen Barbara L., Meijerink Wilhelmus J. H. J., Nienhuijs Simon W., Pon Jolien, Radema Sandra A., van Ramshorst Bert, Snaebjornsson Petur, Tuynman Jurriaan B., te Velde Elisabeth A., Wiezer Marinus J., de Wilt Johannes H. W., Tanis Pieter J. Adjuvant hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) in patients with colon cancer at high risk of peritoneal carcinomatosis; the COLOPEC randomized multicentre trial BMC cancer 2015;15 (1):428 [PubMed]
- Sloothaak D. A. M., Geijsen D. E., van Leersum N. J., Punt C. J. A., Buskens C. J., Bemelman W. A., Tanis P. J. Optimal time interval between neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy and surgery for rectal cancer British journal of surgery 2013;100 (7):933-939 [PubMed]
- Musters Gijsbert D., Klaver Charlotte E. L., Bosker Robbert J. I., Burger Jacobus W. A., van Duijvendijk Peter, van Etten Boudewijn, van Geloven Anna A. W., de Graaf Eelco J. R., Hoff Christiaan, Leijtens Jeroen W. A., Rutten Harm J. T., Singh Baljit, Vuylsteke Ronald J. C. L. M., de Wilt Johannes H. W., Dijkgraaf Marcel G. W., Bemelman Willem A., Tanis Pieter J. Biological Mesh Closure of the Pelvic Floor After Extralevator Abdominoperineal Resection for Rectal Cancer: A Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial (the BIOPEX-study) Annals of surgery 2017;265 (6):1074-1081 [PubMed]
- Sloothaak D. A. M., Gardenbroek T. J., Crezee J., Bemelman W. A., Punt C. J. A., Buskens C. J., Tanis P. J. Feasibility of adjuvant laparoscopic hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in a short stay setting in patients with colorectal cancer at high risk of peritoneal carcinomatosis European journal of surgical oncology 2014;40 (11):1453-1458 [PubMed]
- Borstlap Wernard A. A., Westerduin Emma, Aukema Tjeerd S., Bemelman Willem A., Tanis Pieter J. Anastomotic Leakage and Chronic Presacral Sinus Formation After Low Anterior Resection Results From a Large Cross-sectional Study Annals of surgery 2017;266 (5):870-877 [PubMed]
Prof. P.J. Tanis MD PhD (Optimizing clinical management of colorectal cancer patients)
Colorectal surgery within the AMC involves three main topics: colorectal cancer (CRC), inflammatory bowel disease and redo surgery. The present research line considers CRC, both the primary tumour as well as metastatic disease, and treatment of surgical complications, mainly infectious pelvic complications.
Starting in 2004, clinical cohort studies on rectal cancer treatment outcome in cooperation with the St Lucas Andreas hospital, followed by large multicentre national studies as well as small innovative experimental studies have been performed. This research still continues with anastomotic leakage after low anterior resection and perineal wound complications after abdominoperineal resection (i.e. BIOPEX trial) as primary focus.
In 2010, a research project was started on prevention of peritoneal metastases of CRC. A monocentre phase II study on adjuvant laparoscopic HIPEC in high risk CRC patients was followed by a large multicentre national RCT on adjuvant HIPEC for T4 CRC (COLOPEC trial), with interim results expected in 2019 and final results in 2022. This is the first such a trial worldwide. Several site studies are being initiated with animal models on peritoneal dissemination, molecular subtyping to predict peritoneal recurrence and response to therapy, pathological subtyping and radiological staging of T4 CRC, and role of second look laparoscopy with new technologies (fluorescence).
Related to official postions in the Dutch ColoRectal Audit and Dutch Colorectal Cancer Group, several national projects have been initiated on evaluation of colorectal cancer care at a national level. This includes analyses of 'big data' from registries and innovative snapshot collaborative research projects.
L. Gietelink MD
Prof. W.A. Bemelman MD PhD (Colorectal surgery and minimal invasive surgery)
- AMC (Vrijgesteld)
- B. Braun Surgical, S.A.
- Crediteurenadm. VUmc, p/a Profource Service Center
- Dutch Institute for Clinical Auditing
- Johnson & Johnson Medical BV
- KWF Kankerbestrijding
- LifeCell EMEA Ltd. C/O Allergan