- Kuijpers Taco W., Bende Richard J., Baars Paul A., Grummels Annette, Derks Ingrid A. M., Dolman Koert M., Beaumont Tim, Tedder Thomas F., van Noesel Carel J. M., Eldering Eric, van Lier René A. W. CD20 deficiency in humans results in impaired T cell-independent antibody responses Journal of clinical investigation 2010;120 (1):214-222 [PubMed]
- Davila Sonia, Wright Victoria J., Khor Chiea Chuen, Sim Kar Seng, Binder Alexander, Breunis Willemijn B., Inwald David, Nadel Simon, Betts Helen, Carrol Enitan D., de Groot Ronald, Hermans Peter W. M., Hazelzet Jan, Emonts Marieke, Lim Chui Chin, Kuijpers Taco W., Martinon-Torres Federico, Salas Antonio, Zenz Werner, Levin Michael, Hibberd Martin L. Genome-wide association study identifies variants in the CFH region associated with host susceptibility to meningococcal disease Nature genetics 2010;42 (9):772-U63 [PubMed]
- Kuijpers Taco W., Tool Anton T. J., van der Bijl Ivo, de Boer Martin, van Houdt Michel, de Cuyper Iris M., Roos Dirk, van Alphen Floris, van Leeuwen Karin, Cambridge Emma L., Arends Mark J., Dougan Gordon, Clare Simon, Ramirez-Solis Ramiro, Pals Steven T., Adams David J., Meijer Alexander B., van den Berg Timo K. Combined immunodeficiency with severe inflammation and allergy caused by ARPC1B deficiency Journal of allergy and clinical immunology 2017;140 (1):273-+ [PubMed]
- Cuadrado Eloy, Vanderver Adeline, Brown Kristy J., Sandza Annie, Takanohashi Asako, Jansen Machiel H., Anink Jasper, Herron Brian, Orcesi Simona, Olivieri Ivana, Rice Gillian I., Aronica Eleonora, Lebon Pierre, Crow Yanick J., Hol Elly M., Kuijpers Taco W. Aicardi-Goutières syndrome harbours abundant systemic and brain-reactive autoantibodies Annals of the rheumatic diseases 2015;74 (10):1931-1939 [PubMed]
- Drewniak Agata, Gazendam Roel P., Tool Anton T. J., van Houdt Michel, Jansen Machiel H., van Hamme John L., van Leeuwen Ester M. M., Roos Dirk, Scalais Emmanuel, de Beaufort Carine, Janssen Hans, van den Berg Timo K., Kuijpers Taco W. Invasive fungal infection and impaired neutrophil killing in human CARD9 deficiency Blood 2013;121 (13):2385-2392 [PubMed]
Title(s), initial(s), first name, surname: Prof dr T.W. (Taco) Kuijpers
Date and place of birth: 26-03-1962, Utrecht
Birth country parents: NL
Family: Married, three daughters
Hobbies: Sports, travel, culture, books
University/College of Higher Education: University of Amsterdam
Date (dd/mm/yy): January 1989, MD (cum laude)
University: University of Amsterdam
Date: November 24; 1992 (cum laude)
Supervisor (‘Promotor’): Prof dr D. Roos
Title of thesis: Neutrophil adhesion and diapedesis:
movements in the dark toward the end of the tunnel
Work experience since graduating
Military physician, f.t. 1 fte March 1989 – July 1990
PhD student, f.t. 1 fte July 1990 – December 1992,
Sanquin, Amsterdam, supervisor Prof Dirk Roos
Postdoc, f.t. 1 fte December 1992 – April 1993, Hematology Laboratory,
Univ of Washington, Seattle, Supervisor Prof John Harlan
Resident in Pediatrics, f.t. 1 fte April 1993 – April 1998
Pediatric Immunologist, t.t. 1 fte April 1998 – present; at the Academic Medical Center (AMC), Emma Children’s Hospital, Amsterdam
Professor Pediatric immunology May 2003 – present; at the University of Amsterdam
Brief summary of research over last five years
The candidate represents the longstanding collaboration in Amsterdam between the Emma Children’s Hospital at the AMC and the Dept of Blood Cell Research at Sanquin – both being institutes at the University of Amsterdam (UvA).
Disease manifestations of severe invasive bacterial and fungal infections or hyperinflammation with organ failure form the general theme of his research, encompassing the life cycle of neutrophils, including their development, function and programmed cell death. In therapeutic sense, he studied the administration of immunoglobulins to improve phagocyte function as well as the direct application of granulocytes as concentrates transfused into clinical patients.
Moreover, investigations in genetically well-characterized patients have helped to increase scientific insight from such rare “experiments of nature” or “human knock-out models”. His thorough understanding of the role of phagocytes underscores the uniqueness of neutrophils within the (clinical) context of a coherent system of innate and adaptive immunity. This is reflected by his previous and recent descriptions of novel phagocytic defects. During the past years the participant and his colleagues have been able to create an expertise center with authority worldwide.
The applicant is a clinical immunologist trained in pediatrics. He has a clinical staff position at the Emma Children’s Hospital. The clinical and scientific contacts as well as a proven potential to cover the field of infection and inflammation (including vasculitis, arthritis and various [viral] infectious diseases) helped him to translate science into practice. The studies have generated relevant data for the current research lines on both innate and adaptive immunity for the forthcoming years.
He performed various tasks within the organisation of the Emma Children’s Hospital at the AMC (e.g. organising the annual educational training program for peditricians, leading the commission on patient care at the Children’s Hospital, and – since 2010 - the commission on scientific research).
He is heading the subdivision Pediatric Hematology, Immunology & Infectious Diseases since 2002, covering various activities in patient care.
- Referee for international peer-reviewed manuscripts:
Journal of Clinical Investigation
Journal of Immunology
Journal of Leukocyte Biology
- Member of the European Society for Immunodeficiencies (ESID)
- Chair of the steering committee of the European Clinical Registry on CGD (ESID)
- Chair and co-founder of the International Kawasaki Disease Genetics Consortium (Amsterdam 2007), a collaborative network of researchers from the USA, UK, Australia, Singapore and The Netherlands, recently extended to groups in Canada, France, Italy, Philippines, Taiwan, Korea, China and Japan.
- Member of the International Consortium on Meningococcal Disease (London, 2008), including UK, Austria, Germany and The Netherlands.
- Member of the International Consortium on Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (Genoa, 2009), including Canada, France, Italy, Germany, UK and The Netherlands.
- Contribution to many international meetings as a speaker or moderator (e.g. ESPGAN 1998, ESPID 1999, ESPHI 2001/2003, Biochem Res 2003, AAAAII 2010, ESID 2006/2008/2010, ESCI 2005/2007/2009/2011)
- Organizer of the 5th International Congress on Shwachman Diamond Syndrome (June 2009, Amsterdam; http://shwachmancongress.info/ )
Other academic activities
- Promotor/supervisor of various PhD students
J.M. van den Berg, PhD thesis 2001 (co-promotor)
M.D. van de Wetering, PhD thesis 2003
N.A. Maianski, PhD thesis cum laude 2003
M.T.M. Vossen, PhD thesis 2004
E. van Mirre, PhD thesis 2005
V. Bekker, PhD thesis June 2006
M. Biezeveld, PhD thesis Sept 2006
H.J. Scherpbier, PhD thesis Oct 2006
N. Brouwer, PhD thesis July 2008
F. Frakking, PhD thesis July 2008
B.R. van Raam, PhD thesis Jan 2009
X. van den Tweel, PhD thesis May 2009
A. Drewniak, PhD thesis April 2010
W.B. Breunis, PhD thesis Sept 2010
C. Hijmans, PhD thesis Dec 2011
E. van de Vijver, PhD thesis 2012
M.J. Bunders, PhD thesis 2013
J. van der Heijden, PhD thesis 2013
L. Haverman, PhD thesis 2013
C.E. Tacke, PhD thesis 2013
S. Vendelbosch, PhD thesis 2013-2014
C. Eckhardt, PhD thesis 2013-2014
A. van Velzen, PhD thesis 2013-2014
D.J. aan de Kerk, PhD thesis 2013-2014
M. Keizer, PhD thesis 2013-2014
S. Nagelkerke, PhD thesis 2013-2014
- Member of the Board of the Dutch Working Party for Immuundeficiencies (WID)
- Member of the Pediatric Immunology Section of the Dutch Pediatric Society (NVK)
- Member of the Dutch Neutropenia Working Group of Pediatric HematoOncology (NVK)
- Member of the Board of the Society for Scientific Medical-Biologal Research (SMBWO)
- Member of the Advisory Committee Infection and Immunity to the Ministry of Health and the National Health Council (VWS)
- Scientific Research Fellow, University of Cambridge, UK
Grants, scholarships and prizes
Last 5 years:
- Sanquin, program grant (2012, 4 years): Sweet IVIG
- EU FP7 Health Program, program grant 2011 (5 years): EUCLIDS on infectious disease and complement- binding proteins
- EU FP7 Health Program, program grant 2010 (4 years): NIMBL nuclease immune-mediated brain and lupus-like diseases
- Dutch Arthritis Foundation, program grant 2012 (5 years): Amsterdam-Leiden Program on Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, on the improvement of care
- Dutch Arthritis Foundation, grant 2010 (4 years): The role of MRI in diagnosis and treatment of juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- PPOC / VWS 2012 (2 years): NSF, a new survival factor for neutrophils
- EU FP7 Health Program, grant 2011 (5 years): EUCLIDS on infectious disease and complement- binding proteins
- EU FP7 Health Program, grant 2010 (4 years): NIMBL nuclease immune-mediated brain and lupus-like diseases
- ZZF grant 2011 (3 years): Kawasaki disease, monitoring for the future
- Landsteiner Foundation for Blood Research 2011 (4 years): Epigenetics in neutrophils
- Dutch Arthritis Foundation, grant 2010 (4 years): The role of MRI in diagnosis and treatment of juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Landsteiner Foundation for Blood Research 2010 (4 years): IgG receptors in innate immunity
- PPOC / VWS 2010 (2 years) & 2012 (2 years): Neutrophil Survival Factor, a novel prosurvival factor in plasma
- PPOC / VWS 2009 (4 years): Killer Ig-like Receptors, from bench to bedside
- KIKA 2009 (4 years): Complement activation dysfunction during oncology treatment
- AMC PhD award 2009 (4 years): Immunological memory and suppression of recall responses
- KIKA 2008 (2 years, extension 2 years): Varicella vaccination in pediatric oncology patients
- Barth Syndrome Foundation 2008 & 2004 (2 years): TAZ knockdown in myeloid cells
- Landsteiner Foundation for Blood Research 2007 (4 years): Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency type /variant syndrome: the molecular switch for integrin activation in leukocytes and platelets
- AIDS Foundation 2007 (3 years): HIV-infection in infants: the unidentified susceptibility for retroviral infection
- NWO-AGIKO grant 2006 (3 years): Neonatal transmission of HIV
- Dutch Kidney Foundation 1989 & 1995
- Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences, KNAW fellowship, 1997
- Dutch Heart Foundation 1999
- Foundation of Pediatric Oncology 1999 & 2002
- Landsteiner Foundation for Blood Research 2003
- NWO-VIDI grant 2004 (5 years): Neutrophil apoptosis and mitochondrial function
- NWO-NROG grant 2005 (3 years): Copy number polymorphisms in the Fc receptor gene cluster: relation with susceptibility for autoimmune diseases and autoinflammatory disorders
- PPOC / VWS 2005 (4 years): Granulocyte transfusions, feasibility and quality studies
- NWO-AGIKO grant 2005 (3 years): Fc receptor gene cluster in Kawasaki disease
- Landsteiner Foundation for Blood Research 2005 (3 years): Shwachman Diamond syndrome and the missing link in granulocyte function
- AIDS Foundation 2004 (4 years): Varicella vaccination and immunity in HIV-positive children
- Andreas Bonn-prize, Nov 1993, Society for the Promotion of Biomedical Sciences, Amsterdam¬
- First Prize for the Young Investigator, Nov 1994, Ned Ver voor Kindergeneeskunde, NVK
- Travel grant NWO: University of Washington (Seattle); 6-month working visit (1992-3)
References from last 5 years (20 out of over 200 international and national pubs)
• van de Vijver E, De Cuyper IM, Gerrits AJ, Verhoeven AJ, Seeger K, GutierrezGutiérrez L, van den Berg TK, Kuijpers TW. Defects in Glanzmann thrombasthenia and LAD-III (LAD-1/v) syndrome: the role of integrin beta1 and beta3 in platelet adhesion to collagen.Defects in Glanzmann thrombasthenia and LAD-III (LAD-1/v) syndrome: the role of integrin β1 and β3 in platelet adhesion to collagen. Blood. 2012; 119:583-586.
• van der Heijden J, Breunis WB, Geissler J, de BoerDavila S, Shimizu C, Oharaseki T, Takahashi K, van Houdt M., van den Berg TK, Khor CC, Wright VJ, Levin M, Burns JC, Burgner D, Hibberd ML, Kuijpers TW. Phenotypic variation in IgG receptors by nonclassical FCGR2C alleles. J.Immunol.Disruption of vascular homeostasis in patients with Kawasaki disease: involvement of vascular endothelial growth factor and angiopoietins. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;188:1318-1324. 64:306-315.
• Khor CC*, Davila S*, Breunis WB*, Lee YC, Shimizu C, Wright VJ, Yeung RS, Tan DE, Sim KS, Wang JJ, Wong TY, Pang J, Mitchell P, Cimaz R, Dahdah N, Cheung YF, Huang GY, Yang W, Park IS, Lee JK, Wu JY, Levin M, Burns JC, Burgner D, Kuijpers TW, Hibberd ML; Hong Kong–Shanghai KD Genetics Consortium, Korean KD Genetics Consortium, Taiwan KD Genetics Consortium, International KD Genetics Consortium, US KD Consortium, Blue Mountains Eye Study. Genome-wide association study identifies FCGR2A as a susceptibility locus for Kawasaki disease. Nat Genet. 2011; 43:1241-1246. ( *shared first )
• Kuijpers TW, IJspeert H, van Leeuwen EMM, Jansen MH, Hazenberg MD, Weijer K, van Lier RAW, van der Burg M. Idiopathic CD4+ T lymphopenia without autoimmunity or granulomatous disease in the slipstream of RAG mutations. Blood 2011; 117(22):5892-96.
• Kuijpers TW, Baars PA, Aan de Kerk DJ, Jansen MH, Dors N, van Lier RA, Pals ST. Common variable immunodeficiency and hemophagocytic features associated with a FAS gene mutation. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011; 127(6):1411-1414.e2.
• Davila S, Wright VJ, Khor CC, Sim KS, Binder A, Breunis WB, Inwald D, Nadel S, Betts H, Carrol ED, de Groot R., Hermans PW, Hazelzet J, Emonts M, Lim CC, Kuijpers TW, Martinon-Torres F, Salas A, Zenz W, Levin M, Hibberd ML. Genome-wide association study identifies variants in the CFH region associated with host susceptibility to meningococcal disease. Nat.Genet. 2010; 42:772-776.
• Remijsen Q, Kuijpers TW, Wirawan E, Lippens S, Vandenabeele P, Vanden Berghe T. Dying for a cause: NETosis, mechanisms behind an antimicrobial cell death modality. Cell Death Differ. 2011; 18(4):581-8.
• Drewniak A, Tool AT, Geissler J, van Bruggen R., van den Berg TK, Kuijpers TW. Toll-like receptor-induced reactivity and strongly potentiated IL-8 production in granulocytes mobilized for transfusion purposes. Blood 2010;115:4588-4596.
• Kraaij MD, Savage ND, van der Kooij SW, Koekkoek K, Wang J, van den Berg JM, Ottenhoff TH, Kuijpers TW, Holmdahl R, van Kooten C, Gelderman KA. Induction of regulatory T cells by macrophages is dependent on production of reactive oxygen species. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Oct 12;107(41):17686-91.
• Kuijpers TW, Bende RJ, Baars PA, Grummels A, Derks IA, Dolman KM, Beaumont T, Tedder TF, van Noesel CJ, Eldering E, van Lier RA. CD20 deficiency in humans results in impaired T cell-independent antibody responses. J Clin Invest. 2010; 120: 214-222.
• Orelio C, Kuijpers TW. Shwachman-Diamond syndrome neutrophils have altered chemoattractant-induced F-actin polymerization and polarization characteristics. Haematologica. 2009; 94:409-413.
• van Raam BJ, Kuijpers TW. Mitochondrial defects lie at the basis of neutropenia in Barth syndrome. Curr Opin Hematol. 2009; 16: 14-19.
• Breunis WB, van Mirre E, Geissler J, Laddach N, Wolbink GJ, van der Schoot E, de Haas M, de Boer M, Roos D, Kuijpers TW. Copy number variation at the FCGR locus includes FCGR3A, FCGR2C and FCGR3B but not FCGR2A and FCGR2B. Hum Mutat 2009; 30(5): E640-50.
• Remijsen Q, Vandenabeele P, Willems J, Kuijpers TW. Reconstitution of protection against Aspergillus infection in chronic granulomatous disease (CGD). Blood. 2009;114: 3497.
• van Raam BJ, van Bruggen R, Tool AT, Jansen MH, Warris A, Jolles S, Kuijpers TW. Nuclear factor-kB is not essential for NADPH oxidase activity in neutrophils from anhidrotic ectodermal dysplasia patients. Blood. 2009; 113: 5362-5363.
• van den Berg JM, van Koppen E, Åhlin A, Belohradsky BH, Bernatowska E, Corbeel L, Español T, Fischer A, Kurenko-Deptuch M, Petropoulou T, Roesler J, Seger R, Stasia MJ, Valerius NH, Weening RS, Wolach B, Roos D, Kuijpers TW: Chronic granulomatous disease: the European experience. PLoS ONE 2009, 4: e5234.
• Kuijpers, TW, Van De Vijver, E, Weterman, MA, de Boer M, Tool, AT, van den Berg, TK, Moser, M, Jakobs, ME, Seeger, K, Sanal, O, Unal, S, Cetin, M, Roos, D, Verhoeven, AJ, Baas, F: LAD-1/variant syndrome is caused by mutations in FERMT3. Blood 2009; 113: 4740-4746.
• Drewniak A, Boelens JJ, Vrielink H, Tool AT, Bruin MC, van den Heuvel-Eibrink, Ball L, van de Wetering MD, Roos D, Kuijpers TW. Granulocyte concentrates: prolonged functional capacity during storage in the presence of phenotypic changes. Haematologica. 2008; 93: 1058-1067.
• Breunis WB, van Mirre E., Bruin M, Geissler J, de Boer M., Peters M, Roos D, de Haas M., Koene HR, Kuijpers TW: Copy number variation of the activating FCGR2C gene predisposes to idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 2008; 111:1029-1038.
• van Raam BJ, Drewniak A, Groenewold V, vdBerg TK, Kuijpers TW. Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor delays neutrophil apoptosis by inhibition of calpains upstream of caspase-3. Blood. 2008; 112: 2046-2054.
- C.E.M. Aarts
- S.C. Bergkamp
- M.J. Bouva
- J.J. Dalimot
- D. de Blauw
- E.C.W. de Boer
- K. Elsink
- C. Furumaya
- K. Kielbassa
- T.R.L. Klei
- S.M. Meinderts
- A. Nassar-Sheikh Rashid
- S. Neri
- S.A. Netea
- D. Schonenberg
- R.R.C.E. Schreurs
- M.N. Similuk
- E.G.G. Sprenkeler
- A.M. ter Haar
- L.W. Treffers
- S.A.M. Tromp
- P.J. van Dam
- A. van de Geer
- L. van der Weele
- E.C. van Gulik
- D. van Stijn-Bringas Dimitriades
- D. Verhoeven
- F. Verkuil
- S.D.S. Webbers
- J. Zandstra
- AMC (Vrijgesteld)
- AbbVie B.V.
- Europese Unie
- Gemini Therapeutics, Inc.
- Life Sciences Health TKI
- Sanquin Blood Supply Foundation
- Stichting AMC Foundation
- Stichting AMC Foundation (Vrijgesteld)
- Stichting Nationaal Fonds Het Gehandicapte Kind
- Stichting tot Steun EKZ-AMC
- UMC Utrecht